Emby Connect Issues

brunovon

brunovon

I just signed up with Emby changing from Plex Pro user. I was able to download and install server and also see my media using Roku. All that worked fine, until I started I reading on the customization and Emby Connect. Thats when things got confusing. I am not a premiere user as yet as I want to see what this does before I decide to go that route. I was a premiere user at Plex. The server is on Windows 10 machine.

Need help on a few things.

1. What is the difference between emby connect and emby - Very confusing and no clear answer anywhere. Do I need to create an emby connect account for all users at emby connect as well as the server or just the server is good enough?

2. I created a domain and was able to point the domain to my IP and also port forward the same from port 80 to 8096 and port 443 to 8920. But how do you add server in emby connect. Now I cannot log into emby using the admin credentials. I can however login and access the server using the custom domain url. So what happened and how do I fix it or now I have to always go to my custom domain?

4. Also after doing this my Roku sopped working. And I cannot connect another Roku. Its keeps saying emby connect manual login.  On trying to link Roku, it gives me a number and I then go to emby.media/pin and enter the pin and it then the roku goes to the next screen and shows  the server name and manual connection. Entering my admin credentials here does not work.

3. How do I add the server to emby connect. My server shows up (the actual computer name shows up).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by brunovon

Hi.  Emby Connect is just an easy way to connect remote users to your server.  You can basically think of it as a dynamic DNS system as all it does is make it so someone can connect without knowing your server address.

Does that help clear it up?

I just signed up with Emby changing from Plex Pro user. I was able to download and install server and also see my media using Roku. All that worked fine, until I started I reading on the customization and Emby Connect. Thats when things got confusing. I am not a premiere user as yet as I want to see what this does before I decide to go that route. I was a premiere user at Plex. The server is on Windows 10 machine.

Need help on a few things.

1. What is the difference between emby connect and emby - Very confusing and no clear answer anywhere. Do I need to create an emby connect account for all users at emby connect as well as the server or just the server is good enough?

2. I created a domain and was able to point the domain to my IP and also port forward the same from port 80 to 8096 and port 443 to 8920. But how do you add server in emby connect. Now I cannot log into emby using the admin credentials. I can however login and access the server using the custom domain url. So what happened and how do I fix it or now I have to always go to my custom domain?

4. Also after doing this my Roku sopped working. And I cannot connect another Roku. Its keeps saying emby connect manual login.  On trying to link Roku, it gives me a number and I then go to emby.media/pin and enter the pin and it then the roku goes to the next screen and shows  the server name and manual connection. Entering my admin credentials here does not work.

3. How do I add the server to emby connect. My server shows up (the actual computer name shows up).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Emby Connect to Emby is what a Plex.tv login account is to Plex.

1) With Plex you could always use a specific IP or domain name or just type in plex.tv for a redirection.  Emby is very similar but this is optional. With Plex it "always" phones home to plex.tv even when you don't think it is.  This is one of the reasons people have issues when their internet goes down.  With emby it will work as well as possible without an internet connection (in your home for example).

If you have your own domain name and/or ddns you may never need the use of Emby Connect.  Connect is useful when you don't know how to access your server outside your house.  Connect is also useful if you have access to multiple servers and want to have once central login to all servers.

2)  This is a bit different from Plex.  In Emby go to your server dashboard and click on a user. You'll have a field for THIS user "Emby Connect username or email address:"

So you can enable this for any user.  Names don't need to match.  So user real-long-email-address@some-crazy-domain-name.com can be associated with "JohnDoe" user on your system and you don't care what Emby account name that had.  Much nicer than Plex style since you can control the username on your system so it MAKES SENSE to you who the user is.

3) no number three :)

4) This might be due to not setting up #2 above correctly.  Keep in mind you may not need to use connect.  Depends on your setup but certainly not needed from inside your own home.

Carlo

• 2 weeks later...
brunovon

Thanks Carlo and ebr for your answers. So i have connected my domain and my roku successfully. Now more questions on users...

I have created 2 users + myself. I can sign in using roku. But it does provide a pin that I have to go to connect the roku to the system. Here is what happened with a new user.

1. Created their accout on the server and then they tried to login in using roku. The system asked for a emby connect account.

My questions -

1. Do I have to create an emby connect account for every user to be able to use the emby app in roku or download and use the mobile apps?

2. Do I need emby premiere (paid) account to have users to be able to use the emby mobile apps, or roku or alexa devices?

If yes, then how would users use emby without the apps? or how would they connect roku?

Thanks

1. Do I have to create an emby connect account for every user to be able to use the emby app in roku or download and use the mobile apps?

No.  The app just defaults to that if it cannot find a local server because that is the easiest way to connect remote users to your system.  There is a button on the screen that says "Enter Server Address".  Have them press that, enter your server address and then select their user and log in.  After that, it will remember that server.

2. Do I need emby premiere (paid) account to have users to be able to use the emby mobile apps, or roku or alexa devices?

For the complete answer to that question please see: Feature Matrix