IMDb rating & votes in Kodi

Tumba

Dear community,

I read a couple of threads about the issue of movie & tv ratings in Emby & Kodi. However I didn´t got the point how to handle it.

Background: If you have a bunch of movies, you need to sort them somehow. The best thing for this are smart playlists, which are not available in Emby unfortunately, but in Kodi.

My question is now: Is Emby collecting ratings for movies from IMDb and for tv shows from TVDB including rate & votes?

If yes: How can I get these information into my Kodi to work with smart playlists? Most important are IMDb ratings + votes for movies. Ratings alone give not enough information to filter unpolular movies (e.g. 7.5 rate 50 votes). This is only possible in combination with votes (6.5 rate 5.000 votes)...

If not: Can I get these information from other Kodi-Addons to work with smart playlists of Emby content?

Thanks in advance

Tumba

Hi, we query for ratings using the metadata providers that we support - MovieDb, Tvdb, and Omdb.

Ok that means you´re collecting IMDb ratings + votes or not? I don´t know all the mentioned services :)

However: How can I use these information in Kodi? Because in default the votes are not included in the Kodi library.

We don't currently collect votes. We collect ratings from MovieDb, Tvdb, and Omdb.

• Like 1

Is it possible to add such information from another Kodi-Addon? Normally Kodi adds no further information to the library, which is organized by Emby Addon.

Angelblue05

No. Kodi is treated as a player only. No information provided by Kodi can be added to emby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for your answers! You may have recognized the limitations of Emby Server and Kodi Addon in this thread. In times of 10tb HDD e.g. in NAS the contents are increasing and the need for smart playlists and appropriate filter categories are rising. Kodi itself brings this features (smart playlists to filter e.g. top movies with rating+votes). My hope was to get this advantages combined with the strengths of a centralized Emby Server. 

If you see in the near future the possibility to bring smart playlists and such rating-features together included into Emby itself (or combined with Kodi), this would significantly improve the handling of larger content volumes and therefore this would increase the user experience.

However thanks for your support!

Angelblue05

Smart playlists are already supported but we don't have votes count so you can't use that one filter but the rest should work. I've created plenty of smart playlists and had no problem getting what I wanted without the need for votes to filter my content.

To get your content, use Tags is  {Emby library name} in combination with other filters.

If the server ever provides that information I will add it, but until then....

Edited by Angelblue05

• 3 weeks later...
Angelblue05

You could try to lock the metadata in emby. Somehow, emby must be updating the entry. The add-on doesn't do anything on it's own.

jimbobjones

You could try to lock the metadata in emby. Somehow, emby must be updating the entry. The add-on doesn't do anything on it's own.

Yeah that doesn't work, locking metadata stops Emby's info from being updated.  I locked metadata changes for a film, ran light imdb update, it updating the votes/rating.  Then from the context menu I did Emby Options -> Refresh this time, and it reverted back to no rating/no votes. :/  If I don't manually refresh, it will change after a period of time anyway.

This is using Emby for kodi addon version 3.0.22

Somehow Emby is refreshing the info that I am seeing, but I am not sure how to stop it.

For example, Phantom Thread shows 2017 130 Minutes, when I run the IMDB update addon on it, it goes to 2017 7.7 (52,424 votes) 130 Minutes.  Before long (or if I manually refresh) it goes back to 2017 130 Minutes.

Edited by jimbobjones
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Don't refresh the item? Then it won't remove the vote. If you say it's still refreshing without you triggering it via context menu, then that's an issue with Emby.  As I said, the add-on doesn't trigger anything on it's own. It's either the server sending an update or you are interacting with the metadata. Updating playstate doesn't not update the metadata. I'm not sure why lock wouldn't work.

Can you first confirm that if you lock the metadata, and then don't do anything else, if it still refreshes. That would be the first step.

Edited by Angelblue05

jimbobjones

Don't refresh the item? Then it won't remove the vote.

Somehow some films are refreshed by Emby without me doing anything.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I saw your edited post. Do you use nfos? If so, is the last date modified recent enough to explain the refresh you are seeing?

jimbobjones

I saw your edited post. Do you use nfos? If so, is the last date modified recent enough to explain the refresh you are seeing?

I do use NFOs , and although the rating has changed numerous times with me testing this movie Phantom Thread, the nfo date is 5th April 2018.

Angelblue05

Ok well can you provide your kodi log and Emby log capturing when the movie gets overwritten in Kodi without you interacting with the metadata? I have no idea at this time. My content does not ever get overwritten. I only have played state updates and that doesn't change the metadata. Hopefully the logs will give us a clue where to look.

• Like 1