Android TV - Back button should move the selector back to the tab bar

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

I noticed the back button doesn't behave as it should when I was looking at the genre tab, I have 18 genres and I went down to the last one, I wanted to go back to the tab list to move to the Artist tab and I thought that pressing the back button was going to take me there, instead, it went back to the emby home screen, so the only way to get back to the top is to move up again through all the rows in order to get there.

This should apply to every single screen that feature the tab list at the top of the screen and not only to the genre tab.

5ac031d7333a9_Screenshot_20180331192613.

I count on your upvote for Emby developers to take this suggestion into account. Thanks.

Edited by delacosta78

Yeah, I kind of agree but fear people will not like the extra keypress necessary to get out.

Richard Branches

Yeah, I kind of agree but fear people will not like the extra keypress necessary to get out.

that's a matter of getting used to it, nothing more.

Richard Branches

Can't you just press up?

Yes, of course but that's not the point with this interface, I have another app on my Android TV device, it does exactly what I'm suggesting here.

Edited by delacosta78

• 5 months later...
Richard Branches

On the latest beta update I noticed when we browse down the catalog in music and other sections, when I pressed the "back" button the selector moved up (as I requested) and was placed on the AZ down arrow icon 5bad0ff0f3668_az.png but when I pressed back again, it didn't moved to the top ribbon, instead it went back to the home screen as usual... can you please take into account my request and let the selector move to the ribbon since it's doing what I asked in the first place? thank you.

Noticed that as well and I don't think that's a good idea, if it would then go up to the tab bar it would be even worse as it would take you three back keypresses to just get out of there.

Honestly, I don't think the people will agree with this.

Just my 2 cents.

€dit: btw.. As you can see apart from you nobody is pushing this, so why should all the others get used to the way you would like the app?

Edited by neik

The thing keeping me from doing this is that I do think, since it is a change, people will not like it.

However, this is how most other systems behave in similar situations...

Richard Branches

Noticed that as well and I don't think that's a good idea, if it would then go up to the tab bar it would be even worse as it would take you three back keypresses to just get out of there.

Honestly, I don't think the people will agree with this.

Just my 2 cents.

€dit: btw.. As you can see apart from you nobody is pushing this, so why should all the others get used to the way you would like the app?

If you are for instance in the music section and you are in the "artist" tab and then you want to move to the "playlists" tab, you have to press up several times if you are located way down the list of artist thumbnails, meanwhile, if you press "back" once, it will go back to the top immediately (as it currently does on the beta) and then press the "up" button to move to the top ribbon (as it has always behaved), however, instead of pressing "up" you press the "back" button again by accident, it goes back to the home screen so you have to enter the music section again and then move to the tab you want so why not to add that behavior to the back button as well to avoid getting out of the current screen?

Edited by delacosta78

Which will happen more often?  Will people use the back to EXIT or to get to the TAB.

In one case it adds yet one additional back needed to exit.  In the other case it will require and "up" vs "back" to get to the tab using the same amount of key presses.

I'd prefer it exit as I'll want to do that far more often then to access the tab row and change views (which can still be done easily).

Nobody looses any functionality in any event so this is a minor thing IMHO.

Richard Branches

The new implementation added to the new beta is OK, at least it goes back to the first item of the first row if we are located deep down a long list but if there is only one row with four items and we move to the fourth one, when I press back it goes to the first item instead of going back to the previous screen, I suppose it should go back immediately since we are already in the first row regardless of the selected item.

Edited by delacosta78

The new implementation added to the new beta is OK, at least it goes back to the first item of the first row if we are located deep down a long list but if there is only one row with four items and we move to the fourth one, when I press back it goes to the first item instead of going back to the previous screen, I suppose it should go back immediately since we are already in the first row regardless of the selected item.

I'm afraid that will appear arbitrary to the casual user.  It actually takes you not to the first row, but to the first item.  So, if you aren't on the first item, it should be consistent.

Richard Branches

I'm afraid that will appear arbitrary to the casual user.  It actually takes you not to the first row, but to the first item.  So, if you aren't on the first item, it should be consistent.

I give up on this topic!  :D :D  :D  :D  thank you for your attention, you may lock it to avoid further comments.

No need to lock it.  It is still an open feature request.

I think that eventually we will get to what you expect here but it will take time.

Richard Branches

No need to lock it.  It is still an open feature request.

I think that eventually we will get to what you expect here but it will take time.

Thank you.