DNLA streams via mobile or directly?

Crestj

Crestj

Might be a silly question, if you "send to" via the webpage or Android app to a device does the video/music play from the server to the DNLA device or does it go via the pc/mobile you sent it from?

pmac

I believe the web client/android app just tells the server to send it to the DLNA device, so it's sending directly. Not 100% sure though, but I believe that's the way it works, because I noticed a big difference in quality using DLNA as opposed to streaming from my phone.

• Like 1

Crestj

Thanks, that's what I hope is happening.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Crestj

Awesome! Time to see what this chromecast thingy can do in the UK!

Crestj

Just tested it and it works great! I think the device you cast from is involved still during the playing because if you close the casting program in the notifications bar the streaming stops.

Not a big deal though as it is basically an htpc anywhere I want to take it!

swhitmore

What client are you playing it with? I can start the stream on my phone and close the app fine.

Crestj

The MB Android Client.

I can close the client but I get an item in the notification bar saying it's streaming to chromecast.

I don't think it's an MB client notification but a general Android chromecast notification.

If I close that it stops streaming.

Not a big deal but I wondered if my mobile ran out of battery would the streaming stop. I think it would but that's just the way chromecast is setup rather than anything MB related.

I think!?!

Beardyname

Why your mobile may have to be on could be because of the ChromeCast, I don't think the MBS can Cast stuff yet but if I'm wrong luke will swoop in and correct me :)

swhitmore

Are you talking about DLNA streaming, or Chromecast streaming? They are two different things.

Crestj

Are they? That could explain my confusion!

Beardyname

If you were talking to me i was talking about the ChromeCast thing.

The thing Crestj i think is talking about aswell ^^ Since DLNA with a chromecast makes no sense :)

Crestj

Ok so DNLA means telling MB3 Server to stream directly to a device.

Chromecast just redirects something to your TV.

Sound right?

Beardyname

Kinda :) The ChromeCast is a dumb media player, and DLNA is supposed to be a "standard" way of having devices talk to each other even though they also to the most extent are dumb :P

The ChromeCast is more like screen mirroring in my opinion : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

For more info about DLNA check here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

• Like 1