PGS subtitle doesn't appear

Richard Branches

otispresley

Is there no solution? Does this means you have to either use text subs or transcode everything? The Sony TV is using the TV speakers, and the Shield TV is connected to an AVR that supports everything. The logs were taken from the Sony TV app.

Edited by otispresley

Richard Branches

We will support direct play of PGS in a future update to the app, thanks. !

Isn't that already implemented? on my end I get direct playback of those subs.

Richard Branches

It is supported but some PGS have some view problems because the exoplayer

I wish you could do the same with VobSub, I'm still waiting for direct play for those...

otispresley

I hope it happens soon. I have been trying to get rid of Kodi and move to the Emby client for years, but there is always something that keeps me from using it. Until 4.0, it was poor live TV performance...it is MUCH better now; there are still some features that would make it ideal, like recording based on string match.

This subtitle issue means that I still have to use Kodi to watch movies and TV shows, and might as well just keep using TVheadend for live TV so I don't have to switch between apps. :-(

Emby is so close...especially since 4.0 brought so many improvements! Thanks for all the hard work too!

Isn't that already implemented? on my end I get direct playback of those subs.

Yes, it is already supported.

The problem here is that the item cannot direct play due to the incompatible audio (DTS).  So, once it needs to transcode, if you also require PGS subs, then this is going to cause a burn-in of those subs.

For now, obtaining text-based subs would be your best answer and would allow the video to just stream-copy.

Richard Branches

Yes, it is already supported.

The problem here is that the item cannot direct play due to the incompatible audio (DTS).  So, once it needs to transcode, if you also require PGS subs, then this is going to cause a burn-in of those subs.

For now, obtaining text-based subs would be your best answer and would allow the video to just stream-copy.

I imagined that, something similar happened to me, I asked the question here and I received a similar response.

K1ng_Lear

I wish you could do the same with VobSub, I'm still waiting for direct play for those...

Is there any plan to add the support for VobSub and ASS/SAA on the android TV App? Maybe, this would be the overkill, a option to modify color and font of srt subs, like in Kodi, too?

Only a question, still now I am fine with kodi.

Is there any plan to add the support for VobSub and ASS/SAA on the android TV App? Maybe, this would be the overkill, a option to modify color and font of srt subs, like in Kodi, too?

Only a question, still now I am fine with kodi.

Internal ASS/SSA should work now as long as the other characteristics of your media will allow it to direct play.

• Like 1

otispresley

So, I tested this after allowing Open Subtitles to download the .srt file for the file I tested above. Even the .srt subs and my account set to Only Image Formats does not display any subtitles when playing direct.  :(

So, I tested this after allowing Open Subtitles to download the .srt file for the file I tested above. Even the .srt subs and my account set to Only Image Formats does not display any subtitles when playing direct.  :(

Try it the other way around. For best performance, you don't want image formats. 

• Like 1

otispresley

Try it the other way around. For best performance, you don't want image formats. 

It is not working, @@Luke

I set it like this and still no subs are displayed when direct playing on my Android TV...only when transcoding does it display. I can manually select the SRT subs while it is playing and still nothing displays. I can open the .srt file and see that there are subs in there.

5c4f6c9ebf5e3_subs.png

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the problem. The SRT file that was downloaded from Open Subtitles has no subtitles until 00:35:29, and the PGS subs have subs starting at 00:03:08, so the ones from Open Subtitles are incomplete.

Edited by otispresley