Live TV Channel Logos

kingy444

kingy444

Due to the lack of complete XMLTV support for Australia I have my own XMLTV files being ingested (basically merging multiple sources to get what i want)

This works flawlessly - what i came across the other day was one of the channel logos had been updated at source but emby did not pick this up automatically

Of course i could just delete the image in emby and it will pick it up, but also cannot do this if i didnt know the logo had been updated.

Wondering if this would be identified as a bug, or possible enhancement, to update the images for channels if specified in the xml at a specific time. If enhancement this would likely need to be enable/disable option to auto update icons, as some people would want custom icons and you wouldn't want to wipe them out

I guess you'd have to just delete it because emby won't know if it's different either.

kingy444

I guess you'd have to just delete it because emby won't know if it's different either.

But if their was an option to force them to update? Override local icons regardless of what they are? 

kingy444

@@Luke - I found the item id's in the Emby-Server\metadata\livetv folder - but deleting the icon from there doesnt force the interface to redownload the icon - it must still be in cache somewhere.

I tried to use the API, but unfortunately couldnt find the end point to delete the image - if you could point me in the right direction i can probably set up a solution to my own problem

mbnwa

I attempted to delete the images from the web interface on stable, however they do not seem to be deleting / repopulating - In addition trying to delete the images for hundreds of channels is time consuming, is there a better way to be able to remove the mappings to images and refresh them?

Deleting them from the web interface will delete them temporarily until the next guide refresh. That's what you want to do.

mbnwa

So I have tried that and on every guide refresh it tries to pull the image from an old directory, M:\Emby\metadata\ vs the provisioned M:\Emby-Server\metadata\ 

From the logs

2018-03-27 08:59:08.120 Info HttpServer: HTTP DELETE https://BLAH:8097/emby/Items/2e686fdb75836b48ad8b8478ce8428ef/Images/Primary. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_13_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/11.1 Safari/605.1.15

2018-03-27 08:59:08.123 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 404 to 192.168.50.55. Time: 3ms. https://BLAH:8097/emby/Items/2e686fdb75836b48ad8b8478ce8428ef/Images/Primary

How can I reset the path that Emby is using to pull the LiveTV images? Attempting to remove the channel image from the channels page results in the error above and the image not being removed, thus no re-download of images on next guide refresh. 

Senna

I have experienced a similar confusion with Live TV logo's too and requested a option in server to provide a setting for the source to be used for the Live TV logo's. Maybe some findings in this topic can help you out: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53808-m3u-tunerguide-provider-provide-setting-for-channel-logo-thumbnailicon-priority/

mbnwa

I think the big issue I am seeing here is the fact that the liveTV channels is looking for m:\emby (does not exist) and not m:\emby-server (does exist) - I can not seem to figure out how to tell Emby to look at m:\emby-server vs m:\emby

EDIT: I corrected this by editing the SQLite db directly and cleaned up all invalid paths and now images work as expected.

Edited by mbnwa

mbnwa

Yes, at some point in the past when I added my 4 NVMe drives in RAID 0 so I can relocate Transcode & Emby DB to the faster media, however between that point and now I have cleared the entire library and tuners and refreshed all metadata. I think this issue seems to have started around the time that I could not get Emby to load on startup (due to the old MediaBrowser startup item) In addition when I was in the SQLite DB I also cleaned up all references to MediaBrowser (had about 220 of them +/-) At least now my logs have less errors :) so all in all not a bad task to do, just figured it would self clean up after rebuilding all the libraries and setting LiveTV back up with schedules direct and tuners but that does not seem to be the case.

My issue I feel would be an edge case due to most people not using junction links and relocating Emby to another drive as my c:\...\...\appdata\...\Emby-Server directory is a junction link to my M:\ drive so the entire Emby application runs off my NVMe RAID.

Due to the lack of complete XMLTV support for Australia I have my own XMLTV files being ingested (basically merging multiple sources to get what i want)

This works flawlessly - what i came across the other day was one of the channel logos had been updated at source but emby did not pick this up automatically

Of course i could just delete the image in emby and it will pick it up, but also cannot do this if i didnt know the logo had been updated.

Wondering if this would be identified as a bug, or possible enhancement, to update the images for channels if specified in the xml at a specific time. If enhancement this would likely need to be enable/disable option to auto update icons, as some people would want custom icons and you wouldn't want to wipe them out

@@kingy444 just wondering....I am using freeepg.tv however how you are achieving channel logo's etc.? I used to use NextPVR however since using Emby Direct for Live TV I have lost all the nice channel logo's etc.

kingy444

@@Scot

I use the same, but short answer, after the above logo item appeared i've stopped the automatic import and manually mapped icons for all channels from the UI. (Happy to share if you just need the icons)

@@Scot - another option is to get icons is to visit http://www.freeview.com.au/tv-guide/ in chrome, right click on a channel logo, copy image address, and paste this into emby image upload. This will automatically download and store in emby. Takes a while but you only have to do it once.

Main difference with mine is i've inverted some colors for like SBS so its white in emby

Longer answer if you care to read:

Luke has mentioned some increased support for XMLTV on the way, but in the meantime I basically wrote some PowerShell that downloads then manipulates the XML to provide epg for all channels. Including the extras that are missing in freeepg that I got from another source (Racing.com etc).

One of the biggest problems (my opinion) with the current mapping was that if you have more than one XMLTV file, there is no preference on which file maps a channel (I'm sure this is one of the things Luke is fixing).

My Script:

1. Downloads EPG for Canberra, Orange-Dubbo, Sydney. ie. Sydney might have food network data while canberra doesnt
  2. Downloads a second XML  (matthuisman on github) for the items that are missing from the original.
  3. Merge Data for Canberra, Orange,Sydney to one XML file - this allows me to specify the region of xml data for each channel
  4. Edits the second xml to only provide the extra channels required
  5. Creates 'fake' epg data for channels that dont require anything (TVSN) for instance. Basically my OCD hates something not being there.
  6. The last thing the script did was add the icon mapping to all the channels - this worked fine with NextPVR, but since moving to live tv in emby I've commented that section of my script out and just manage them manually through EMBY.
Edited by kingy444

My issue I feel would be an edge case due to most people not using junction links and relocating Emby to another drive as my c:\...\...\appdata\...\Emby-Server directory is a junction link to my M:\ drive so the entire Emby application runs off my NVMe RAID.

Ok, I'm resolving this scenario, thanks.

Thanks @@kingy444, sorry for the delayed response.

Trying to change to a Synology DS918+ for everything and although I have 16GB of RAM in it and SSD's for cache drives I really didn't want to go down the route of installing a Windows/LINUX VM....since I am in Melbourne all the stations work however none of the extra meta data seems to be picked up if using Emby's built in TV recording system....if I use NextPVR it works no issue. FreeEPG XML feed for Melbourne is correct with all the programming however Emby doesn't seem to go out and get the meta data per program or even attempt a meta data match etc....when NextPVR is involved most meta data is rendered (NextPVR just using OTA EPG).....

Is there any reason why Emby's build in system isn't working for meta data on FreeEPG XML feed by NextPVR does work?

Is there any reason why Emby's build in system isn't working for meta data on FreeEPG XML feed by NextPVR does work?

What exactly do you mean by this?

@@Luke - Using the OTA EPG in NextPVR and the NextPVR plugin on Emby TV I get lots of metadata (images, TV show look ups etc) on the TV Guide.

If I use FreeEPG XML feed and the native Emby TV tuning system I do not get any nice metadata (only a simple timetable with no TV looks ups, show covers etc.)....if I use the FreeEPG XML feed on NextPVR (rather than the OTA EPG) again NextPVR renders all the nice TV Show matches nicely (hence nice metadata) etc.

Hopefully the above makes sense...bottom link NextPVR (with OTA EPG or FreeTV XML feed) gets all the metadata one would assume is possible, using Emby TV built in connection to my HD HomeRun's and the FreeTV XML feed results in very limited metadata.

Just wondering, would it be possible to implement the same way Plex is bringing in TV shows (in my case FreeView - Melbourne)?

Edited by Scot

@@Luke I realise Schedules Direct don't support Australia (hence I use FreeEPG XML) which NextPVR works with in terms of both FreeEPG XML and FreeView. FreeView is actually just OTA EPG.

So, ideally FreeEPG XML working with Emby TV Tuner like NextPVR does or support for OTA EPG's....would this be possible? This is the way the Plex team have gone and whilst you started way in front of them they have caught up in a lot of areas, most notably the EPG metadata.

Edited by Scot

@@Luke what is the XML Guide Data Feature? If you mean using the XML feed when setting up Emby TV DVR then yes...I have done this...however EmbyTV does not look up metadata for shows in the XML feed...the same XML feed used on NextPVR "does" work when it looks up metadata of shows.

So:

1. XML Feed on EmbyTV only shows guide data, no metadata look up then occurs to match these shows so "more" info is downloaded
  2. The same XML feed used on NextPVR results in the same guide data however the metadata does work on NextPVR

It would be really good to have this fixed....

We don't use the internet metadata providers because the potential for incorrect matches is very high. Does your xmltv data contain any identifying information such as tvdb id's or imdb id's?

@@Luke I can PM you my XML link? I am not sure what it contains however NextPVR is able to use it and match....I am not sure how NextPVR matches....

kingy444

We don't use the internet metadata providers because the potential for incorrect matches is very high. Does your xmltv data contain any identifying information such as tvdb id's or imdb id's?

There is no data in the file relating to imdb or tvdb unfortunately. FreeEPG is essentially an OZTIVO scrape if memory serves - but you are correct @@Scot in that NextPVR provided more metadata, but that was an internal NextPVR process that EMBY was reading data from. Like @@Luke suggests, the matches on this were often quite unreliable.

Personally I would prefer no matching than incorrect ones.