SRT subtitles are not working while transcoding.

shocker

shocker

Hello,

The external SRT subtitles are working ok if the transcoder is not involved on Android Mobile 2.9.92, but if I'm forcing the transcoder the subtitles are not displayed.

Server version: 3.3.1.7

Android Mobile Version: 2.9.92

Logs: Attached.

Media Info: Attached.

Tested on: Samsung J3 Prime 2017 (SM-J327T) with Android v7.0. Another user reported the same thing with Samsung J5 2017 on Android 7.0.

Also if I'm setting the quality to 1.5 Mbps the fast forwarding functionality is not working. You need to watch the movie from the beginning to the end.

Thanks

post-4323-0-11807500-1521893116_thumb.png

nosub.txt

Edited by shocker

• 2 weeks later...

What's happening is we extract the subtitles on the fly, and on your server it's not happening quickly enough. This leads to no visible subtitles.

What you can do is go to server transcoding settings and uncheck the box to allow on the fly subtitle extraction. This will get the subtitles to work, but it will require burning them in with transcoding, which can use a lot of resources.

shocker

I'm looking into it. Someone else reported it too, but I just haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

Need a dummy account on my server to give it a try?

shocker

Sorry, I edited my post. See above.

It's strange because it's only happening when you are going with 1.5Mbps bitrate. All the above bitrates work ok with this.

For e.g I'm using dual CPU 2698-v3 with NVMe PCI-E SSD (550k IOPS) :)

The workaround is not an option (don't get me wrong, thank you for providing one) as my CPU will go crazy :) I'll just wait for a fix.

P.S. Also the fast forwarding is not working on 1.5Mbps and this is not related with the subtitle, I guess.

Edited by shocker

The storage drive containing the media is also a factor. If you don't want to toggle that setting, then I would suggest obtaining external text subtitles.

shocker

It's a NFSv4 with 80 Gbps network connectivity and I'm getting ~ 1GB/s read speed (no caching).

This behaviour is only seen on Android. I'm not heaving this issue with iOS or other devices.

I've tried now another tv show with external subtitle and I'm getting the same result.