Re-configuring storage. Advice/thoughts?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

So I'm thinking about changing things up. Right now, all my drives are spinning continuously. I'd like to change that. So here's what I was thinking of doing. The machine I use for backup, is mostly empty. It's running an i5 and just a few drives (with room for more). The server is running on the box that has my main storage. If I switch the mobos etc. I was thinking I could run Xpenology on the big box with all the drives, and convert it to NAS (running on the i5). Then run the server on the backup box, along with the backup software etc. Question. Will xpenology spin down the drives, when not in use? I was assuming yes, which is what I want. A bit more economical, and probably, quieter (I can turn the fans down). Am I sounding like a crazy man? I'm a bit out of my tree, right now. We had a pole transformer blow up, and I thought it fried my USG. But I think the Ubiquiti people saved it.  :blink:  :wacko:

PenkethBoy

I played with xpenology a year or so ago - it works well - not sure about the spin down but if it works in Synology ( i guess it does) then it should work in Xpenology - a post to their forums should confirm this

LSi based controllers are very common so i would expect them to work - IIRC there is a list of supported hardware somewhere that i checked my kit against before playing with Xpenology

Can you not get windows to spin down your drives?

Spin down works for me with drivepool and 2012R2

PenkethBoy

i would investigate why win10 is not turning them off first before spending a lot of time reconfiguring your setup for a relatively few watts of power saving

could be as simple as a log file that gets written to on a regular basis

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

Whatever it is, all three machines are the same way. I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to find a solid 'fix', even if I could find the cause. It's not something I want to waste time, on. I did some light research, a while back. It appears to be a known issue. I'm also just wanting to do something different :D

PenkethBoy

Lol go ahead and find other issues with Xpenology -  :P

do you have any linux knowledge?

Guest asrequested

Lol...I don't, but it's fun to learn. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet. Initially, I thought about buying a NAS, but the one that fits my desire is $1500. And I have my sights set on something else.

CBers

Lol...I don't, but it's fun to learn. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, yet. Initially, I thought about buying a NAS, but the one that fits my desire is $1500. And I have my sights set on something else.

Put the $1500 towards your electricity bill, keep your disks spinning and then sit back and watch your content :D

Guest asrequested

Put the $1500 towards your electricity bill, keep your disks spinning and then sit back and watch your content :D

Lol...I've got the itch, again. I need to do something with my stuff :D

PenkethBoy

trouble is you will buy a nas and load it with lots of the apps (as you will not be able to play) then wonder why it does not spin down the disks!

Jdiesel

FreeNAS? 

I was a unRAID user for a lot of years and liked their software. Most people seem to recommend FreeNAS over it though.

Guest asrequested

trouble is you will buy a nas and load it with lots of the apps (as you will not be able to play) then wonder why it does not spin down the disks!

Why lots of other apps?

Guest asrequested

FreeNAS?

I was a unRAID user for a lot of years and liked their software. Most people seem to recommend FreeNAS over it though.

I'll have to take a look at that. I've only just had the idea, so I haven't look extensively, yet.

Latchmor

I'll have to poke around their website. And windows 10 isn't turning off the drives.

I guess this is what you mean. Mine do hibernate as the first time I browse ET when I get home there is a delay before all the images appear.

5ab3fea309d40_Capture.jpg

Guest asrequested

I guess this is what you mean. Mine do hibernate as the first time I browse ET when I get home there is a delay before all the images appear.

5ab3fea309d40_Capture.jpg

Synology?

Guest asrequested

Oh yes, see it says DS918+ at the end of the ticked option.

Lol...yeah I did see that. Just confirming Synology not xpenology. Bought NAS as opposed to built NAS.

Jdiesel

Lol...yeah I did see that. Just confirming Synology not xpenology. Bought NAS as opposed to built NAS.

Build NAS all the way, with a real CPU