FLAC songs stutter frequently

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

FLAC songs stutter frequently on the Xiaomi Mi box, at first I thought it was my computer that caused the issue, so I started to open apps, loading the cpu to see if that was the reason, but didn't affect playback, the issue seem to be with the device, sometimes songs stop for one or two seconds and continue to play.

I sent the log from the device at 5:44 pm on 19/03/18.

This sounds like a bandwidth or bitrate issue.

What was the bitrate of the content?  Was it transcoding or direct playing?

Still on the release version of the app?  You might want to try the beta.

Richard Branches

This sounds like a bandwidth or bitrate issue.

What was the bitrate of the content?  Was it transcoding or direct playing?

They always direct play, usually 16 bit or 24 bit with different bitrates

Still on the release version of the app?  You might want to try the beta.

Don't worry, I'll wait for the final release and retest all the issues I've been reporting.

Don't worry, I'll wait for the final release and retest all the issues I've been reporting.

Well, by doing that, we have no opportunity to fix them before release :).

Richard Branches

Well, by doing that, we have no opportunity to fix them before release :).

How can I test the beta version?

Can be installed alongside the current version?

Richard Branches

On the beta version the music still stutter, but looks like the issue is with high res flac files, like 96Khz/24bit or 192Khz/24bit, but I'm still not sure about that, I'm still testing... please let me know if you need any log.

Richard Branches

Alright, I tested enough flac files to conclude it doesn't matter if the flac file is high res or not, they all stutter in some moment while playing, something else I noted is the dashboard keeps showing that the song is playing even after I stopped it in the app.

Is this one of those $5 android tv boxes? I guess we will probably just have to transcode flac unless ebr has a better idea.

Richard Branches

Is this one of those $5 android tv boxes? I guess we will probably just have to transcode flac unless ebr has a better idea.

This is the Xiaomi Mi Box with official Android TV OS

http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

I don't have this issue with Plex or even google play music with the music files in a hard drive connected to the device directly.

Richard Branches

Can you get me a sample file that has this problem on your Mi?

The problem is not related to an specific file or if the file is high res or not, any song I played presented at least one stutter.

The problem is not related to an specific file or if the file is high res or not, any song I played presented at least one stutter.

Right but none of my songs do so, if you can provide me a sample file that has this problem in your environment, then I can test it and we can see if it is an environmental problem or a problem with the file or in the app related to the file.

Thanks.

Richard Branches

Right but none of my songs do so, if you can provide me a sample file that has this problem in your environment, then I can test it and we can see if it is an environmental problem or a problem with the file or in the app related to the file.

Thanks.

Hello, I'm gonna send you two songs, one is a 96Khz/24bit (crazy from aerosmith) and the other is a 44.1Khz/16bit (sober by pink), they both stutter at different moments of course.

I was also able to record with my phone the songs at the moment when they stutter: The aerosmith song stutter at 00:43 and the pink song stutter at 2:20, don't confuse the silence at 1:12 with a stutter because it's part of the song.

Sometimes I believe it's my computer that creates the stutter but it's difficult to confirm that, also I believe there are more stutters with high res files than with regular ones. Sometimes I even believe the songs stutter on my phone but since it's a cheap phone I can't confirm the same with a more powerful one.

You will have to get a Mi Box to test this thoroughly, this device has become popular because it's cheaper than the shield, on reddit you can see many posts from people asking questions or asking for help because the device has some issues with current firmware and everybody is waiting for the nougat or oreo update, however, that doesn't mean that's the only reason for the problem I'm having: www.reddit.com/r/androidtv

Here are the files:

Crazy by aerosmith original flac:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XUVAH6cRQPkevdcCIHIr8fqRZ31ERLTu

Crazy by aerosmith recorded with the phone:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=127bGoClM1qzDX6I-UpYaEMSl7PWI_l7q

Sober by pink original flac:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JtKB6zUvvjT3v3CAYRydinK6xSXrgchE

Sober by pink recorded with the phone:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rRdWxn8JMfgQRqBwxIS8NrszTsdJFTcb

Richard Branches

Oh my god, looks like the stutter is not only with music but videos as well, I was watching an MPEG-2 video without transcoding and it stutters... I just sent the log at 12:35 pm on 21/03/18.

This all just sounds like either the network or one of the devices not being able to keep up...

Thank you for the samples.

Richard Branches

¡THE ISSUE IS GONE!

Now I'm embarrassed because I didn't come up with the idea of rebooting the device in the first place to see if that fixes the problem, music and videos no longer stutter.

Thank you anyway for helping me fix this.

Okay, then the issue could be memory constraints on the device. Once enough stuff is going and consuming memory, maybe it has a tough time with some of these operations.