More than one application?

glevey

glevey

I have been using Emby for a few weeks. I'm a fan! Everything was working well, and then it was not. I don't know why, and I'm not going to do a great job of explaining things because this is all new to me and kind of confusing.

In the beginning I successfully installed emby on my Synology NAS. It is also currently working well on my TV via the Nvidia Shield. I used to have an app on my Mac computer where I could open it and do all my emby activities, but it was not in a browser; it was in a separate app. Then a few days ago when I clicked on that app on my Mac nothing happened. So I uninstalled. I use an app cleaner program that is supposed to get rid of all the files so it's really deleted. 

Meanwhile, at this point emby told me that I needed to update the app. I did this on the Synology server software, but when I got back to my web browser, it told me that my app needed to be updated. It showed a previous version number, even though the version number on the Synology Package Center was the most recent (3.3.1.0-1).

I tried to re-install Emby Server for NAS. It was already installed and I couldn't really do anything different. So then I installed Emby for Mac OS. It still was not a separate app that I could click on and access Emby NOT in a web browser. At this point, in the web browser my recordings were all missing. So I uninstalled again. When I went back to my Synology Package Center and clicked on the URL, all my recordings now show up in the web browser version of Emby.

So......my basic question is, how can I get an app on my Mac that will access my Emby account and I don't have to do it through a browser? I really appreciate any help you can give. Thank you.

hi @@glevey, we don't have a dedicated mac app at this point outside of the full server installation.

However, our web app is quite robust. If you have Emby Server installed on a Synology you can always use our online web app at http://app.emby.media

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

glevey

Hi Luke,

Thanks so much for your help. Okay, I think I get what you're saying, but I used to have an app named EmbyServer.app in my Applications folder on my Mac. I used to click on it and access emby. I get pretty confused, so when I did that, maybe (surely) I was taken to a web browser.

Is there a way to get it back to how it used to be where I double click an icon app to access emby? Right now emby runs well when I click on the URL in my Synology server window (in a web browser). I don't understand why there isn't an embyserver app in my applications folder.

Less important / sidenote questions:

How does the embyserver app for Mac OSX fit into all of this? When I downloaded that to my mac, it seemed to cause a lot of problems. All my recordings disappeared.

How about emby connect? Could that have been what I was using in my previous setup (where I double-clicked an emby application icon)?

Thanks very much! This forum is so important. I wouldn't be using emby without it.

Edited by glevey

That is the server installation for the Mac. What you want to do is pick one or the other between synology and Mac. You probably don't want the server on both of them.