Screensaver doesn't display background art for many songs

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

While playing music in Android TV on the Xiaomi Mi Box, the screensaver doesn't display the background art for many songs I played:

5aaf08b6449d2_androidtv.png

However, the dashboard clearly shows there is a background:

5aaf08fd64746_dashboard.png

I've sent the log from the Android TV app at 7:49 pm on 18/03/18 and also attached the server log here.

server-63656989390.txt

Looks like they were being fetched on demand.  What happens the second time you play the song?

Richard Branches

Looks like they were being fetched on demand.  What happens the second time you play the song?

Since Emby still lacks of a shuffle button, this test was made using "instant mix", I let the app play different songs and only the first one displayed the background, later, I played again another instant mix and some songs displayed the background while others didn't, however, on the dashboard every single song played displayed its background. It's not consistent on the Android TV app.

Edited by delacosta78

These were all songs being played for the first time?

In that case, if they are being downloaded on demand, then it may be the second attempt before they make it out to the app.  After that though, they should all be fine.

Richard Branches

These were all songs being played for the first time?

In that case, if they are being downloaded on demand, then it may be the second attempt before they make it out to the app.  After that though, they should all be fine.

Are you saying that every song played for the first time won't display a background but in following playbacks?

I'm gonna test again to see what happens...

Are you saying that every song played for the first time won't display a background but in following playbacks?

I'm gonna test again to see what happens...

Not necessarily but that could be the case in some instances.

With our on-demand retrieval of these types of images it sometimes will take too long to go out to the source and bring in the image so the app doesn't get it the very first time.  Once that has happened once for any given item, then it is no longer an issue.

Richard Branches

I just tested this again and found out first time played artists (not songs) won't display the background but artists played before display the background despite if the song is first time played or not.

Richard Branches

However, there are some artists that don't display the background if I play any of their songs again, it looks like they don't have a background because the dashboard display the album art, like in this example:

5aafe5c014f7f_dashboard.png

Correct.  If they don't have a backdrop, one will not show.

You can always search for and provide any art you wish for these artists.