SRT Subtitles don't display when VC-1 codec is transcoded

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Is this from the same video you provided a sample of earlier?

Nope, this is a full 17,8 Gb bluray remux downloaded from the internet of course, but didn't have the PGS subtitle format so I added the subrip one.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

Since the bitrate of the file is too high for my phone, I tried to wait for the first line of the subtitle and it appeared, then I brought down the bitrate to the 480p - 1Mbps but didn't appear anymore when the video started to get transcoded.

Edited by delacosta78

Ok, i have an mkv with subrip. the subs seem to be showing up fine for me when i lower the quality to force transcoding.

Richard Branches

Ok, i have an mkv with subrip. the subs seem to be showing up fine for me when i lower the quality to force transcoding.

It works for you but not for me? is the computer I'm using to be slow at transcoding which is causing the issue? this is an Intel Celeron B820 with 4GB of RAM.

Richard Branches

Maybe you just needed to be patient while the subs loaded?

Actually, I waited long enough to see what happens, because more than testing the subs I was testing transcoding with my phone and computer, in the end they didn't appear.

Richard Branches

Hey, I'm testing this with the beta of Android TV and the subtitles doesn't appear either when the VC-1 codec is transcoded, the issue seems to be with the server I guess...

No, for the mobile app, the problem is in the video player I think, but for whatever reason, only on your device or certain kinds of devices.

Richard Branches

No, for the mobile app, the problem is in the video player I think, but for whatever reason, only on your device or certain kinds of devices.

And the Android TV app as well...

Richard Branches

It's important to note they appear even when transcoding with other video codecs I tested such as h.264.

Richard Branches

Ok thanks. @@ebr will review that.

You're welcome... since we are talking about subtitles in this post, why the android tv app doesn't have an option to change the size of the subtitle? please answer my question, don't leave me expecting for an answer like in other posts. thank you.

Edited by delacosta78

I would post about the in the Android TV section. There are already existing topics you can lend your support to.

Richard Branches

In the above playback attempt, no subtitles were selected for display.

Sometimes it doesn't let me to turn back on the subtitle if I turn it off first.

What, exactly, do you mean by "it doesn't let me"?  What do you do and what happens?

Are you 100% sure these subtitles actually contain content where you are looking for them?  In another log, I see them selected properly in the player.

Richard Branches

What, exactly, do you mean by "it doesn't let me"?  What do you do and what happens?

Are you 100% sure these subtitles actually contain content where you are looking for them?  In another log, I see them selected properly in the player.

Sorry, I confused this post with the vobsub subtitle...

On the current stable emby app for Android TV the movie plays directly with an audio delay because VC-1 appears to be decoded by software since it's not supported by the device, on the beta app the movie is transcoded because the emby app is now detecting correctly the device doesn't support the VC-1 codec, the problem is the subtitle doesn't appear anymore because of the transcoding process.

On my phone, the subtitle appear if the movie is played directly, but since my phone is not capable of playing fluid the high bitrate of the file I have to bring down the quality to 480p - 1Mbps, that means the movie have to be transcoded, which leads to the same problem: the subtitle doesn't appear anymore. My phone doesn't support VC-1 codec either so the movie should be transcoded obligatorily, although the app doesn't seem to detect it.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

A friend let me use his LG K350 phone to test this, the subtitle didn't show:

5ab3ff58d23ad_IMG_20180322_135007.jpg

Richard Branches

Can you test the web app with transcoding?

As you can see the sub is on:

5ab41f73b2143_screenshot1.png

But the sub don't show on the web app:

5ab41fc54dc00_screenshot2.png

Ok, the problem is that we are extracting these subtitles on the fly, but the extraction process is not fast enough on your server. This leads you into thinking "not working".

Go to server transcoding settings, and uncheck the setting to allow subtitle extractions on the fly. Instead, now we'll burn them in with server transcoding. This will work, but of course, it will consume some cpu.