Season names incorrect

computerprep

Happy2Play

I was wondering if this was ever resolved, as I am too experiencing this issue after a server migration.

5c2b3f9bc2b49_Screenshot20190101at112228

Can you select edit metadata on one of these seasons and post.  But my guess would be pre-existing metadata.

• 5 weeks later...

Also having this problem.  Scans complete, .nfos don't seem to have anything at all related to the Title.  Very odd, and definitely something recent, maybe since 3.6.

Also having this problem.  Scans complete, .nfos don't seem to have anything at all related to the Title.  Very odd, and definitely something recent, maybe since 3.6.

Hi, what problem exactly are you having? Thanks.

Apologies, there was supposed to be a screen shot attached, but it doesn't seem to be working via the method of 'send to server'.  I'll try again here, but the issue i'm having is that season names displayed are just the name of the show, in this case 'home improvement', even though the Season metadata is correct.

5c54a36a3be1b_ScreenShot20190201at113956

This isn't the only case, just the latest, with freshly added, properly formatted content.

Metadata from Season 1:

\xef\xbb\xbf<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<season>
  <plot />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2019-01-31 23:51:12</dateadded>
  <title>home improvement</title>
  <year>1991</year>
  <tvdbid>13060</tvdbid>
  <premiered>1991-09-16</premiered>
  <releasedate>1991-09-16</releasedate>
  <art>
    <poster>/var/db/emby-server/metadata/library/72/726c91dc84bf8fae9b06a7899875eeb8/poster.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <seasonnumber>1</seasonnumber>
</season>

Edited by orie

computerprep

This problem still exists in 4.0 for me. Had to rebuild tv library from nothing, and I don't use nfo's, so no pre-existing metadata for me.

A series that was automatically mis-identified would show improper info but accurately name the seasons. Manually identifying the series would overwrite the season names with the series name.

Only difference for me is that the series/season names would be properly capitalized.

This isn't the only case, just the latest, with freshly added, properly formatted content.

Metadata from Season 1:

Your problem is in the season.nfo file, look at the title node. That is where Emby got it from.

Agreed, but it's Emby which created the .nfos for this (I have it set to do so).  So, it's something on initial identification.  I'll wipe the .nfos and rescan, see if it happens again.

Yup, happened again.  The main reason I think it's odd is I don't recall having this issue ever in older versions.  I just recently completely rebuilt my database after combining multiple volumes into one, so I would have a nice clean DB.  I did have to initially identify the show before emby would pick it up, even though the show title was definitely matchable in the directory name.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<season>
  <plot />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2019-01-31 23:51:12</dateadded>
  <title>home improvement</title>
  <year>1991</year>
  <tvdbid>13060</tvdbid>
  <premiered>1991-09-17</premiered>
  <releasedate>1991-09-17</releasedate>
  <art>
    <poster>/var/db/emby-server/metadata/library/72/726c91dc84bf8fae9b06a7899875eeb8/poster.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <seasonnumber>1</seasonnumber>
</season>
Edited by orie

Okay, I figured out the pattern, here's how to reproduce.  If you have a TV show (in this case) folder named something like "Home Improvement S01-08 NTSC DVD DD2.0 x264" with NO .nfo files and then do a library scan for new and updated files, it won't be able to identify the show, but it WILL identify the seasons, if separated like this "Home Improvement S01 NTSC DVD DD2.0 x264", and even realize they're the correct show and add episode artwork. 

5c54bec889474_ScreenShot20190201at13248P

Then, if you 'Identify' the show so it adds artwork and all that, THAT is when it replaces the season Titles with the show name, rather than the season title.  Everything else, including the artwork, stays.  I have to assume the naming is what's throwing it off, but I've used this kind of naming before and not had this issue.

Edit: I forgot to add, when I changed the show's root directory to just "Home Improvement" and cleared all *.nfos, everything was identified properly and artwork was added, etc.

Edited by orie

Happy2Play

Okay, I figured out the pattern, here's how to reproduce.  If you have a TV show (in this case) folder named something like "Home Improvement S01-08 NTSC DVD DD2.0 x264" with NO .nfo files and then do a library scan for new and updated files, it won't be able to identify the show, but it WILL identify the seasons, if separated like this "Home Improvement S01 NTSC DVD DD2.0 x264", and even realize they're the correct show and add episode artwork. 

5c54bec889474_ScreenShot20190201at13248P

Then, if you 'Identify' the show so it adds artwork and all that, THAT is when it replaces the season Titles with the show name, rather than the season title.  Everything else, including the artwork, stays.  I have to assume the naming is what's throwing it off, but I've used this kind of naming before and not had this issue.  Thoughts?

If those are your naming schemes then Emby will not be able to identify them properly.  Emby is not very flexible when in comes to TV Shows.  You will need to follow supported naming conventions.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

Can you show your exact folder structure, but I suspect it will come back to naming convention.

• Like 1

If those are your naming schemes then Emby will not be able to identify them properly.  Emby is not very flexible when in comes to TV Shows.  You will need to follow supported naming conventions.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV-naming

Can you show your exact folder structure, but I suspect it will come back to naming convention.

Agreed, definitely true if you look at my edit (sorry).

I guess i'm just a bit bummed because I think this particular issue is new, and renaming the folder structure affects other programs abilities to recognize them, so I try to avoid it if possible.

we plan to be able to support a mish-mash folder structure in the future and then there should be no problem with this. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
computerprep

Just to re-iterate, this original problem was despite following proper naming conventions perfect. It persisted from 3.x to 4.x versions and other reinstalls prior to the upgrade.

But I was forced to rebuild my server for RAID issues. Restored server from full image backup, but took the opportunity to wipe Emby out and start fresh. And miraculously this problem has gone away.What's weird is I had done a clean install previously and season names were still being overwritten with the series name.

Don't know why, but I'm 6 re-identified series in and the season names are staying "Season #" instead of changing to the series name.