Problems with Emby Server 3.2.20

Treecrusher

Treecrusher

Hi everyone,

I'm having problems with Emby Server 3.2.20 installed on Windows Server 2016. I stopped updating my server a while ago as every now and then an update doesn't immediately work well with my system and I was losing hours of my life getting it back up and running.

Anyway, about a week ago my Android app, running on a Sony TV, stopped connecting reliably for some reason. Web browsers on other remote computers could connect no worries. After some problem solving I narrowed it down to my server needing to be updated.

I took a backup of my Emby server installation and then deleted the Emby server directory in the apps/roaming location. I then installed Emby server 3.3.1, but the file structure is a little different. I copied/overwrote the config, data and plugins folders from my Emby server backup to the new Emby server/programdata folder. When I first start the Emby Server 3.3.1 it seems to work, showing all my library and content state information. It also allows me to log in from my Android app momentarily. But when I try to play a video the Android app hangs and then I look back at the server config through the browser and it has basically reverted back to a new installation. If I copy the config, data and plugin folders again the problem repeats,

I have two options available: 1. revert back to my 3.2.20 installation in which case I need to resolve the Android app connection issue. 2. maintain the 3.3.1 installation, in which case I need to work out how to migrate my library and content state information over.

Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.

Treecrusher

Hi, can you please attach the emby server log from the 3.3.1 startup? Thanks.

Sorry, server logs attached. 1. on first start up after I have copied the migration files over. 2. After my library disappears.

I have been looking into it further and below lists some of what is happening:

1. I shut down the 3.3.1 installation and then copy/overwrite the config, data and plugins folder into the new programdata folder.

2. When I initially start up the 3.3.1 installation all my media and content state information is there (continue watching, watched status etc.)

3. If I go and look at the "Library" in the server config, none of my media folders are there.

4. I re-entered/setup my library folders to match my 3.2.20 installation but this doesn't make a difference.

5. After a short period of time my library either completely disappears (if I haven't manually re-entered/setup my library folders) or looses all my media state information and reverts back to what my library would look like if I just rescanned my library from scratch.

6. All my users, passwords etc. remain intact.

Thanks again.

Log after first start up after migration.txt

Log After Library Disappears.txt

Treecrusher

So, every since I upgraded my server to Windows Server 2016 the permissions have been a challenge to give Emby server access to everything it needs access to. Certain things, like updates, did not work. It never really bothered me as I didn't necessarily want emby automatically updating anyway. 

The initial problem was caused by incompatibility between the Android TV App and version 3.2.20 of the server. I use the Android app  every night and I started having problems finding/connecting to my server. Sometimes it would find and connect, other times it wouldn't. Even if I entered the IP address manually it was still hit and miss as to whether it would connect. In hindsight I guess the Android app auto updated  and was no longer compatible, as when I finally got my server updated to version 3.3.1 everything is back to being stable.

As for the server update, I wasn't able to successfully migrate my user data and library status from my 3.2.20 installation to the new 3.3.1 installation. Therefore I had to fix the permissions problem. For me this involved the following steps:

1. Open run and type secpol.msc to edit the Local Security Policy

2. Navigate to Local Policies, Security Options

3. Find "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode"

4. Change to "disabled" and restart.

The above enabled me to simply download the latest Emby server for windows and update my installation using the Emby installer.

Edited by Treecrusher
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Maximus Naxsus

So, every since I upgraded my server to Windows Server 2016 the permissions have been a challenge to give Emby server access to everything it needs access to. Certain things, like updates, did not work. It never really bothered me as I didn't necessarily want emby automatically updating anyway. 

[..]

The above enabled me to simply download the latest Emby server for windows and update my installation using the Emby installer.

Are you running Emby in Hyper V?