We're Unable to connect to the selected server right now

JohnTuri

JohnTuri

I have Emby running and I have a Premiere account.  I have an Emby Connect account and I believe it is linked to my Emby server.  I have set up port forwarding on my router for port 8096 to point to the computer that has the emby server running on it.  Also, the ip address on that computer is static.  On the Emby server dashboard is shows both a In-Home ip address and a remote WAN ip address.  I have checked to see if the server is running by going to a different computer on my home network and typing in the In-Home ip address and the emby server does show up.  So, it would appear that the Emby Server is up and running.

My problem is if I go outside my network to use another internet provider on a device like my phone I get the following message:

We're unable to connect to the selected server right now.  Please ensure it is running and try again.  Got it

I have tried disabling the firewall on the Emby Server computer and I still get the same message.  

Have I missed something in the setup process or what can I do to correct this problem.

canyouseeme.org site can't be reached

Looks like it's working now. Can you try again? Thanks.

JohnTuri

I have a firewall problem.  I am using McAfee as a firewall there are 2 entries in the Internet Connections under the Firewall one is EmbyServer and the other one is embyserver.exe.  I have changed and played with these entries and they are open to all ports currently and Netguard is turned off.  My emby server is only available if the entire firewall on the server is turned off.  So, I am either missing some entries into 

McAfee or the two entries I mentioned are somehow incorrect.  Can you please tell me what entries are necessary into the firewall or other portions of McAfee to allow Emby to be seen outside my home network?

Hi, we actually go over this in the wiki article that Ebr linked to above, but you need to make sure that port 8096 is open, assuming you're using the default port.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Guest asrequested

If it were me, I'd start by disabling the software firewalls and get the router firewall correctly configured, first.

JohnTuri

According to PFPortChecker  The External IP Address is accessible but when the firewall on the server computer is turned on the port 8096 is not open.  However, the external IP address is available.  When the firewall on the computer is turned off then the port is open on the computer.  Thus, I believe the problem is not on the router it is with the McAfee firewall on the sever computer.  What are the correct firewall entries  for Emby server in the McAfee Firewall software?

Guest asrequested

I imagine you'll need to make an allowance for it in the McAfee firewall. I don't remember how McAfee does that.

JohnTuri

Well I need to know what Emby needs to be open.  Certainly McAfee and windows defender need about the same entries for Emby server.  So, what entries are needed?  This seems like easy question, but, maybe not.  The emby install procedure added the two items in my McAfee firewall internet connections list.  So, either something is incorrect or incomplete with those entries, so, what should the correct entries be?

JohnTuri

The entry that was missing in McAfee Firewall was in Ports and System Services section.  I added an entry for Emby for TCP/IP for ports 8096,8920.  Save this and then I was able to access my Emby server from outside my home network.  This fixed the problem, but, if the Emby installer was smart enough to add the 2 entries for the Emby server under the internet connections for program section of McAfee firewall, why didn't it add the entry under the Pots and System Services section?  Is this intentional for security purposes?

Hi, the Emby installer only interacts with Windows Firewall. We don't do anything to circumvent Mcafee firewall, or any other third party firewall. If you're using a third party firewall then it will require manual setup.

• Like 1

JohnTuri

makes absolute sense because there are too many firewalls and antivirus programs out there.  So, the two entries that were made in McAfee must have come from Windows Firewall even though it was not

my primary firewall.  Thus, the port exclusions did not come across to McAfee.  Is that correct.  Thank you very much for all your help by the way.

The entries that were there may have been created by you without you realizing it.  When you first started the Server, it may have produced a pop-up asking you whether or not to allow the program to access the internet.  If you said "yes" then this would have created the outbound rules but would not have granted the inbound port access.

• 2 years later...
DJHughes

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm not very sure what I'm doing at all really but I have been having the same issue as John T at the start of this conversation I keep trying thing  but nothing seams to make a difference. Emby used to work wonderfully on my android mobile phone anywhere  (Plex)"bad word" sorry!   was rubbish. now it is the other way around and I much prefer Emby. I have tried to port forward I am limited a bit with my ability. and all seams to be well. I use a Mac this only seems to have happened post Catalina! I have turned off the fire wall in the hopes that I might get something to happen but still nothing. I'm sorry its a bit vague I hope someone may be able to help.

22 hours ago, DJHughes said:

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm not very sure what I'm doing at all really but I have been having the same issue as John T at the start of this conversation I keep trying thing  but nothing seams to make a difference. Emby used to work wonderfully on my android mobile phone anywhere  (Plex)"bad word" sorry!   was rubbish. now it is the other way around and I much prefer Emby. I have tried to port forward I am limited a bit with my ability. and all seams to be well. I use a Mac this only seems to have happened post Catalina! I have turned off the fire wall in the hopes that I might get something to happen but still nothing. I'm sorry its a bit vague I hope someone may be able to help.

Hi there, what exactly is the problem that you're experiencing?

DJHughes

Hi Luke, Thanks for getting back to me. I'm unable to connect to my Emby server outside of my home network. I'm guessing my Mac is somehow interfering with things It used to work fine then I upgraded to Catalina from then on i was unable to connect outside of the network.  I was late updating as the Big Sur update came up very soon after. I don't usually rush into updates but I thought this update might help with the isues I was having with Emby.  Big Sur (big Problem) I experienced software and hardware issues so I down graded back to Catalina (I'm an Average Joe, Luke so from that moment on things have been a bit problematic ) My General system (Mac) runs well and generally has no decidable problems but it keeps trying to update back to Big Sur and if I reboot unless I stop it, it tries to boot to the install update ( I appreciate your not  an IT repair person and I need to get someone to sort this glitch out! I will try and do that this week ) I forward the port as suggested but still can't log on I tried setting up a "Connect" account but it still goes back to the Select Server page and then the Connection Failure page.

I wanted to share with my parents but after the went through the setup process on Linux they too had the same failure my firewall is completely off turning it on blocks Plex also. Is there any other settings I may have missed on my Mac which could be causing this?

Hi, if you check your firewall do you have ports forwarded to your Emby Server?

If so, what happens when you go to canyouseeme.org and test?
Does it show the same IP address that your Emby Dashboard shows for remote use?

When you fill in the port (ie 8096) and run the test on cannyouseeme what status does it give you?

• Thanks 1

DJHughes

Hi Both Luke and cayars, Thank you so much for your help I checked what you suggested and (no) the port was not open! I couldn't see what was wrong so I asked a technician to come and have a look Apparently I had not enabled an added security switch in my modem. So job done, it's all working now.

I'll recommend Emby every time Cheers! 

• Like 1