Lock up when idle

yaksplat

yaksplat

I'm getting an occasional lock up in the app when it's sitting idle.  I'll come back to it and it's just the white/foggy screen.  Once i force kill it, i can bring it back up and it works fine.  The server is functioning fine and other clients are still able to access media.

Edited by yaksplat

corey

How how long between sessions do you notice this behavior? Does it consistently lock up? Is your internet connection stable?

yaksplat

i've had it happen 3 times in the last few days. Each time it's after the apple tv went unused since the previous night.  Internet connection is solid.

corey

Thanks for the update I appreciate it! What type of user are you signing in as? Local server user? Emby Connect user? Does the user have a password?

I’ll see if I can repeat this but I suspect it could be related to auto-logout behavior and potentially tricky to track down.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, what are the circumstances?

yaksplat

I had another issue.  App said "Starting Up..." and froze there.  First use of the day.  I force killed it and started it up again and it stuck at the same point again.  I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the app and everything worked fine again.

corey

That’s interesting. Can you report back if you still see the hangs after letting it sit idle? Also do you have auto-login set?

yaksplat

Auto login is disabled.  We switch accounts between mine and the kids.  Server is always awake and running.

One other minor thing:

when you hover on the logged in user, the picture goes blank

when you hover on the logged in user, the picture goes blank

Unfortunately, that's just what this Apple interface does to an image in focus on a button like that.

I'm wondering if the network is asleep or something.  If you don't have auto-login enabled, then, when the app is re-activated after over an hour, it will re-start itself.  So, I think this 

I had another issue.  App said "Starting Up..." and froze there. 

and the freeze after sleep are probably the same thing for you - the app being unable to load itself.

corey

That is what I was thinking as well @@ebr. I do know that when the Apple TV wakes from sleep it takes a moment for the network to re-establish itself, st least for a wired connection.

andyblac644

Unfortunately, that's just what this Apple interface does to an image in focus on a button like that.

I'm wondering if the network is asleep or something.  If you don't have auto-login enabled, then, when the app is re-activated after over an hour, it will re-start itself.  So, I think this 

and the freeze after sleep are probably the same thing for you - the app being unable to load itself.

would it be possible to have a 2 state custom icon, ie 2 icons in profile, that appletv or other could use as selected state?, or maybe even the default icon when selected ?

Edited by andyblac644

• 3 weeks later...
LurchZA

I have the same issue with the AppleTV app.

If the Apple TV isn't used for a few hours I have to restart the device before I can get back in to Emby.

Server is awake and other clients connect, and the Apple TV can connect to other services like Netflix, Youtube, etc.

Apple TV 4th generation, up to date.

Latest Emby client.

No passwords on either of the Emby accounts.

If the Apple TV isn't used for a few hours I have to restart the device before I can get back in to Emby.

You cannot double-click the home button and just swipe the Emby app away and then re-open it?