FR: DLNA - Artwork for movies and music

Ghostm

Ghostm

Dlna is working great for me (except on the odd device) but my dlna devices all support artwork, i notice when i use dlna to my samsung tv  for movies, and my avr for music which displays album artwork fed by other dlna servers, unfortunately shows nothing (no cover art) when using the mb3 server. 

It would be a nice touch to have cover art show up when streaming to devices that support it. 

• Like 1

swhitmore

Dlna is working great for me (except on the odd device) but my dlna devices all support artwork, i notice when i use dlna to my samsung tv  for movies, and my avr for music which displays album artwork fed by other dlna servers, unfortunately shows nothing (no cover art) when using the mb3 server. 

It would be a nice touch to have cover art show up when streaming to devices that support it. 

Would this just be for music? I didn't know devices could do that. Sounds like a nice feature.

Ghostm

My avr receiver definitely can for music, I will double check streaming to my tv again tonight from another source and see if i get any movie artwork on my tv. 

Ghostm

Ok, tried out plex and xbmc dlna over my samsung, and for music album art is definately on display, but unfortunately not for movies. I dont know if its just my tv or not though.

But i know music definately displays album art over dlna, and with mb3 scrapping such nice metadata and me often using dlna for music and an avr that supports album art, i really hope and would like to request dlna for album art for music. 

ginjaninja

It may be that in a 'play from' scenario there is an opportunity for the client to query dlna service uuids from server and eg return coverarturi. But in a play to scenario there is no opportunity..might be worth checking under a 'play to' paradigm if others supports cover art.

AdrianW

When I was testing "Play To" with my Samsung F-series panel, I tried an mp3 - and I got artwork on the screen (with a spinning disc):

VHBkXob.png

swhitmore

When I was testing "Play To" with my Samsung F-series panel, I tried an mp3 - and I got artwork on the screen (with a spinning disc):

Using MB3? Can you try sending it to another client? I'm interested to know if that's client specific.

AdrianW

Using MB3? Can you try sending it to another client? I'm interested to know if that's client specific.

Yes, using MB3. I think it maybe client specific though.

I don't have any other dlna capable devices (except a Sony BD player - and there's no profile for that yet).

Ghostm

VHBkXob.png

Interesting, also using samsung tv, not getting artwork, yet plex displays my artwork no problem through dlna. This is from flac though  not an  mp3 (transcoded by the server). Also media monkey and xbmc dlna servers also display artwork for my music on my samsung tv, just not media browser. 

Maybe someone can help me narrow down the feature request. 

Also just curious are you on the latest beta server, or a dev version? Maybe it was added.

I honestly dont have an mp3 file to try. 

Edited by Ghostm

Ghostm

I wonder if its not possible to show album art from flac using the play to method, maybe ill have to ask in the dlna forum. 

Ghostm

Actually i cant even get artwork working for mp3 either. Not sure why. 

Curious what server version your using.

Edited by Ghostm

VHBkXob.png

The image is probably embedded in that mp3 and the tv is just reading that.

Ghostm

This might sound like a silly question, but how would you even see artwork for movies? Isn't the movie itself supposed to be what you see?

Some clients support streaming movie art, my chromecast for instance displays the blu ray case and poster when it starts streaming or is paused.

Anyway I talked to 7illusions (not to speak for him either) and he is going to check it out for music and look into it. He explained the process and how it should work but as one can imagine some terms were used that were over my head :) But it sounds like it should be working for music and if its not its something he will look into. 

Ghostm

The image is probably embedded in that mp3 and the tv is just reading that.

Ya i think your correct, when i asked adrian he mentioned it was from itunes (which i unfortunately do not use) and from memory i think itunes can embed the  art. 

Tikuf

From memory if we are transcoding to mp3 I think we are stripping the image from it (i can't recall why we did this but there was a reason). 

pmac

Ok, tried out plex and xbmc dlna over my samsung, and for music album art is definately on display, but unfortunately not for movies. I dont know if its just my tv or not though.

This might sound like a silly question, but how would you even see artwork for movies? Isn't the movie itself supposed to be what you see?

Ghostm

Is this just for dlna?

I typically use flac to flac (or pcm whatever mb3 sends), but cant get artwork either from that.

It is a nice feature though to have cover art when streaming music, my avr for instance (I think most do) have a big blank image for artwork when you stream to it. I know yamahas, and denon do anyway. 

My avr is currently getting the 500 error (is a yamaha), so i tried streaming a flac file which has all the artwork to xbmc and it played but also had a blank image for artwork. 

Sometimes if im using a device that does not support flac, i use media monkey dlna server to transcode to mp3 (media monkey acts as a server, not play to) and that does have artwork. 

Edited by Ghostm