Web Socket

holdestmade

holdestmade

I am currently using this API in Eventghost to generate now playing info to send my RTI remote processor.

Using websocket, I get events when playback has started and stopped with the necessary data but get no events when paused, am I missing something ?

Do I have to use the HTTP method to monitor 'IsPaused' ?

Thanks

Yes you have to send a message first to start receiving this info. I'm guessing you found it in the other thread.

holdestmade

No, never found out, how do you send a message with python websocket and what format, I have tried a few things but go nowhere.

I'm using ws.send is that suitable ?

this is an extract from my script that works, except for the send:

Thanks

try:
    ws = EmbyClient('ws://192.168.x.x:8096?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&DeviceId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx')
    ws.connect()
    ws.send('{MessageType: "Playstate", Data: "Command"}')
    eg.PrintNotice("Connected to EMBY Server")
except:
    ws.close()
Edited by holdestmade

holdestmade

I just can't seem to figure out how to get Paused and Unpaused events with the web socket connection, PlayStart and PlayStopped works fine, anyone give me a pointer or example using python scripts

Cheers

Currently those events generate a lot of traffic so what you need to do is first send a message over the socket to indicate that you want to receive notifications:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-webcomponents/blob/master/sessionplayer.js#L136

And then this is how you can stop them:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/emby-webcomponents/blob/master/sessionplayer.js#L82

chef

I just can't seem to figure out how to get Paused and Unpaused events with the web socket connection, PlayStart and PlayStopped works fine, anyone give me a pointer or example using python scripts

Cheers

There aren't any Playback paused events.

You can request playback progress and keep the current value in a variable and then check the variable against new info coming in.

If the value is the same, then the state is paused and if it is higher then the saved variable then it is playing again.

Add a small buffer to the saved variable, so that the progress count doesn't trigger false unpaused changes.

Edited by chef

holdestmade

So finally sorted is using the post above from @@mezz64.

For the benefit of someone else looking for this information I finally figured out the correct syntax for the websocket message to ask the server to provide session updates on an interval.

The 1500 is the interval in milliseconds.

{"MessageType":"SessionsStart", "Data": "0,1500"}

{"MessageType":"SessionsStop", "Data": ""}

Used the following when I get a PlaybackStarted message:
ws.send(json.dumps({"MessageType":"SessionsStart", "Data": "0,1500"}))
and this when I get a PlaybackStopped message:
ws.send(json.dumps({"MessageType":"SessionsStop", "Data": ""}))

Thanks all for your help

Edited by holdestmade

holdestmade

Spoke too soon !

Updated to 3.3.1.0 from 3.2.x.x last night and now not getting any playback events, only system ones. ie Organize new media files etc.

This is in my log whenever I try a connection, anything changed your end ? Not changed anything here.

Thanks

2018-03-15 11:19:37.030 Info HttpServer: WS ws://192.168.1.52:8096/?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&DeviceId=xxxxxxxx. UserAgent:
2018-03-15 11:19:37.049 Error SessionManager: Error in event handler
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.3.1.0
    Command line: C:\Users\MEDIA\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    User Interactive: True
    Processor count: 2
    Program data path: C:\Users\MEDIA\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
    Application directory: C:\Users\MEDIA\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
     at Messages.Api.MessageService.SessionManager_SessionStarted(Object sender, SessionEventArgs e)
     at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Events.EventHelper.<>c__DisplayClass1_0`1.<QueueEventIfNotNull>b__0()
    System.NullReferenceException
     at Messages.Api.MessageService.SessionManager_SessionStarted(Object sender, SessionEventArgs e)
     at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
     at MediaBrowser.Common.Events.EventHelper.<>c__DisplayClass1_0`1.<QueueEventIfNotNull>b__0()

holdestmade

Thanks, tried that and also removed the Trailers plugin as I installed that last night.

Still not working.

Strange because all the other API functions work, ie messages, notifications etc just not playback

Cheers

Ok, problem is, it clearly IS working or you would not be able to use any emby remote control features. For instance, I just used Chrome to control firefox and it worked just fine.

Someone is going to have to go through your code to find what's missing. I'm afraid I do not have the bandwidth to personally do this for you, but you could compare to the source file I linked you to above.

holdestmade

Ok thanks I'll have a dig about if you've not changed anything that end. Like I say, strange, it was working great and I have not changed my code.

holdestmade

So, got it to work again with a slightly different method, I used this command on connect to the websocket and that generates events whilst playing and stops when playing stops. Not as neat as before as there is an event generated every second whilst playing but it works. Bonus is I can extract pause, and progress easier this way

{"MessageType":"SessionsStart", "Data": "0,1000"}

• 1 year later...
nahovevyse

No, never found out, how do you send a message with python websocket and what format, I have tried a few things but go nowhere.

I'm using ws.send is that suitable ?

this is an extract from my script that works, except for the send:

Thanks

try:
    ws = EmbyClient('ws://192.168.x.x:8096?api_key=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx&DeviceId=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx')
    ws.connect()
    ws.send('{MessageType: "Playstate", Data: "Command"}')
    eg.PrintNotice("Connected to EMBY Server")
except:
    ws.close()

What's the import for "EmbyClient"?

How did you figure out this -> {"MessageType":"SessionsStart", "Data": "0,1000"}

I have installed pyEmby via pip but didn't find the import for EmbyClient.

Thanks for your time 

Edited by nahovevyse

nahovevyse

So, got it to work again with a slightly different method, I used this command on connect to the websocket and that generates events whilst playing and stops when playing stops. Not as neat as before as there is an event generated every second whilst playing but it works. Bonus is I can extract pause, and progress easier this way

{"MessageType":"SessionsStart", "Data": "0,1000"}

Can we plz have the code which you used to get socket response.. the full code 

I will really appreciate your help on this problem