Get a FireTV for 35 bucks!

Sammy

Sammy

New subscribers to DirectTV Now can get some decent deals right now. If you don't want the service, just cancel. T&C don't require returning the device. 

(Unconfirmed but cancelling may yield three more months at a discounted rate.)

Go to
https://www.directvnow.com

Then click on "Compatible Devices" to see offers.

FireTV is free with one month of service. I signed up on Monday. As soon as I get it, I'll cancel the service!

tdiguy

Too bad its one of those free with purchase things. for the fire tv its buy 1 month and you get the fire tv with the apple tv its buy 3 months and get it. The new fire tv is not what it used to be, the gen2 devices are much better.

Sammy

Please elaborate.. I'm not sure but with the lack of YoutubeTV I'm thinking of putting it up on eBay for a little return on my investment.

tdiguy

The gen 3 fire tv devices lack the following that came built in to the fire gen 2 devices: microsd card slot, rj45 / ethernet, and usb slot. On top of that the gen3 device comes with a built in ( non replaceable ) hdmi cable designed in a way where you are expected to have the fire tv literally just hanging from the back of the tv. If you want to hard wire the gen3 fire tv you need to buy an adapter. If you want to hard wire it and connect a usb drive you need an adapter ( not even sure if one exists for that honestly )

tdiguy

If you have a gen2 fire tv take a look around on ebay people are getting pretty good cash for them. Myself i have started using the mi boxes, I have had a couple minor issues but working pretty good. Not great as far as expandability but works well playing stuff from emby. If you really have the money to spend a lot of people on here have said good things about nvidia shield devices.

Sammy

The gen 3 fire tv devices lack the following that came built in to the fire gen 2 devices: microsd card slot, rj45 / ethernet, and usb slot. On top of that the gen3 device comes with a built in ( non replaceable ) hdmi cable designed in a way where you are expected to have the fire tv literally just hanging from the back of the tv. If you want to hard wire the gen3 fire tv you need to buy an adapter. If you want to hard wire it and connect a usb drive you need an adapter ( not even sure if one exists for that honestly )

They set it up basically for streaming..

Some might need these things but I don't really do need them.. RJ45 maybe but my WiFi is very good. The HDMI extender? Might need that but they can be had from monoprice for a couple bucks.. I think I have a few in a box already.. The FireTV is pretty light so velcro will do the trick. IDK how you can hardwire it if the port doesn't physically exist on the hardware though.

My biggest gripe is the fight between Google and Amazon so there's no YoutubeTV on it. I got one for $35 so I'll probably sell it on eBay rather than use it.

Sammy

If you have a gen2 fire tv take a look around on ebay people are getting pretty good cash for them. Myself i have started using the mi boxes, I have had a couple minor issues but working pretty good. Not great as far as expandability but works well playing stuff from emby. If you really have the money to spend a lot of people on here have said good things about nvidia shield devices.

Loving my Shield but not the lack of SpectrumTV on it.