Playlist Automation for Video (TV)

Scott D

Scott D

With the abundance of programs to automate the collection of shows, I have found myself being flooded with content.  If I step away from watching, (vacations, other commitments, etc.) I find that when I return some content slips past my radar of things to be watched.

The Newest media display is great, but if not monitored regularly, the new items will fall of the end of the list and end up not being seen.

While I am not a programmer, and certainly not sure how this could be incorporated, here goes with my vision on how it would work.

Things that are working now (great job BTW).

1.       A weekly tv show is captured to local storage through the use of DVR schedule (or other means).

2.       It is added to the library as it does now (auto organize). 

3.       Metadata is pulled and database is updated with graphics and the like.

4.       Show appears on the “Latest Media” section of Emby.

Up to here, this is great.  But to really make things click, and avoid the problem of media overload, having the following would be awesome.

Request: 

1.       An “Auto Created Playlist” would be created based only on “Series” that have been tagged (at the Series level) to be included for future episode releases.  Similar to marking Series as “Favorites”.

2.       As episodes are Auto Organized into the library, if on the list of “Auto Add to Playlist”, an entry is added to the playlist.

3.       The list would continue to grow as new content is added from the “Tagged Series” list, and removed from the list as they are viewed.

Now comes playback.

I get back from a trip and jump right into my “Auto Created Playlist”.  I would be presented with the option to watch shows in groups (all new episodes of one series, and then the new episodes of the next series) or based on the date episodes were added (jumping from one series to another). 

Once an episode is played, it would be removed from the playlist.  I could then keep up with the latest of the shows I want to see, skip the ones for other users, and be presented with a more traditional tv viewing experience (jumping from show to show) or choose a binge watching experience based on my preferences.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

Scott D

After reading the post on Smart Playlists, I would agree.  Any idea if this is still on the list of things to do?  If so, how far down the list is this feature?  Possible to integrate as an add-on?