Optical out.... light bulb moment!

Crestj

Crestj

For years I've always had to use an HDMI for video and optical out for audio (to my amp) with my ZOTAC media centre .

Very weird issue where I had to go straight to my TV from my PC as my amp was doing funny things to the video!

Had this running for years without issue.... well when I say without issue..... I had the constant "why is the amp not getting 5.1 channels! Bloody codecs!"

Anyway after replacing mt HTPC with a custom built PC with some more grunt I setup everything the same (thinking optical out was superior) and continued my eternal struggle with codecs and getting 5.1 sound from video files instead of stereo.

Then one day I randomly decided to just plug the hdmi from my PC to my amp again, I thought maybe the new CP was better at outputting video and audio through hdmi than the last one. I disconnected the optical out and gave it a try.

OMG what a revelation!

The amp now gets 5.1 channels to it at all times! Every video file I play gets 5.1 sound, video is perfect as it was before and I have even uninstalled those bloody Shark007 codec packs that I'm sure did more harm than good.

So as it turns out optical out isn't superior it just confuses the issue with bitstreaming settings and all that nonsense!

I can now sit back to watch TV without the fear of "how many channels will I get tonight"  :D

Guest asrequested

Tbh I'm happy with more than stereo!

Lol...and be sure to use an app that supports all of the audio options. Emby Theater desktop is the one that supports the most, but shield tv is also pretty good.

• Like 1

CBers

Anyway after replacing mt HTPC with a custom built PC with some more grunt

You should have bought an Nvidia Shield TV :D

Crestj

You should have bought an Nvidia Shield TV :D

Yeah was tempted but still wanted the option of throwing a 1080 gtx in it for some fun!

Although saying that, it's not happened yet as the xbox gets most of that action!