Emby server freezes while importing a multimedia library

rydencillo

rydencillo

Hi! I just got really tired of Plex and its bugs that never get fixed, so I decided to move on and find a good alternative, and Emby definitely seems the best one. To test the server, I imported one of my media libraries, a library containing about 1500 movies.

It imports many of the files from the library and eventually freezes. Trying to kill the library import task doesn't work, and the only solution is restarting the Emby server and running the task again.

From the log you can see how it is importing lots of movies and then it doesn't report anything more anymore.

Log.txt

In all likelihood it's just taking a long time and you might be interpreting that as frozen. I notice you enabled chapter image extraction. This will cause the library scan to take significantly longer. Try turning that off.

rydencillo

Wow, that was a fast response! I determine it's frozen because it usually doesn't take more than one minute per movie, and now it's been more than one hour with no more movies processed. Doesn't that count as being frozen?

It's always possible that an ffmpeg image extraction process got stuck, although we are usually good about handling this and continuing forward. What you can do is try to cancel the library scan. If it's able to cancel and stop itself, then it's not stuck, it's just taking a while.

rydencillo

It's always possible that an ffmpeg image extraction process got stuck, although we are usually good about handling this and continuing forward. What you can do is try to cancel the library scan. If it's able to cancel and stop itself, then it's not stuck, it's just taking a while.

I will try this and get back to you asap. I'm also open to provide any info and access necessary to fix this if it's an actual issue.

It might actually be stuck then, probably on an image extraction, which is unusual. Try shutting down the server and then starting back up. thanks.

rydencillo

It might actually be stuck then, probably on an image extraction, which is unusual. Try shutting down the server and then starting back up. thanks.

Yes, that fixes the issue until the next freeze. Is there anything I can do to get this bug fixed?

rydencillo

Yes try disabling chapter image extraction. Thanks.

I meant if there is something I can do to help fixing this bug so Emby gets better.