Emby for Android playback on Chromecast

jordy

jordy

Hey,

I always have my phone connected to the server via my external address - https:\\myserver.com:8921. It works great when I am away from home.

Today, at home, I connected my phone to the home network (but didn't change my login to the server eg it was still via the external https address) - same as my chromecast and the server. Emby for Android can see and connect to the chromecast and  the Emby logo appears on the TV screen "ready to play"... Pressing the play button in Emby for Android results in the "I'm doing something" circle to appear but nothing plays. after a while the circle stops spinning.

Closing down Emby, restarting it and connecting to the server via the internal ip address - 10.0.0.8:8096 and then everything works just the way it is supposed to.

Thing is, I can play you tube to the chromecast using the external connection scenario no problems, and given that Emby for Android and  the chromecast can definitely see and communicate with each other, shouldn't that mean that emby can also play on the chromecast just like you tube can?

EDIT: Whilst connected to the server via the external address, if I log on to the home network, the phone shows up in the server with the IP address of my gateway - 58.174.xx.xxx , not the internal IP address it has been assigned to - 10.0.0.xxx. I suppose this is the reason why I can't get playback. is there anyway I can fix this without the disconnect / re-connect palava everytime I want to use the chromecast...?

thanks

Edited by jordy

jaspalgill

Hi there, I had a similar issue and with my brief investigation found that cheaper routers provided by ISP's handled this better but my pfSense firewall had issues.

Anyway I found two ways by which I get around it.

1. Creating a DNS overide (Split DNS) on my router for my external domain, so it resolves to my internal server IP address. This way any of my LAN devices who try and resolve my external domain name for Emby will resolve and use my internal emby IP address. Note: not all routers will have this feature!!

2. For a more low-fi solution, just create a shortcut bookmark of the internal emby server using chrome/safari on your phone's homescreen. So launch whichever icon depending on where you are ;)

• Like 1

When the network changes on the device we need to adjust the server address that we're using accordingly. Currently it waits until failure before figuring out the correct address.

• Like 1

jordy

Hi there, I had a similar issue and with my brief investigation found that cheaper routers provided by ISP's handled this better but my pfSense firewall had issues.

Anyway I found two ways by which I get around it.

1. Creating a DNS overide (Split DNS) on my router for my external domain, so it resolves to my internal server IP address. This way any of my LAN devices who try and resolve my external domain name for Emby will resolve and use my internal emby IP address. Note: not all routers will have this feature!!

2. For a more low-fi solution, just create a shortcut bookmark of the internal emby server using chrome/safari on your phone's homescreen. So launch whichever icon depending on where you are ;)

Hi, tks for the ideas [emoji846]. Just wondering how you achieve the split DNS and tbh, I never thought of using the WebUI. [emoji106]

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

jaspalgill

Hi, tks for the ideas [emoji846]. Just wondering how you achieve the split DNS and tbh, I never thought of using the WebUI. [emoji106]

No worries, Split DNS is a feature of your router/firewall. I've never seen it on a cheap ISP provided equipment but you may be lucky.

I installed pfSense which is an open source firewall appliance, as a virtual instance. It was my main fiber gateway router so did all my DHCP, DNS and Firewall.

It's not used as my router anymore but I've kept it running for DHCP and DNS...it isn't something simple and easy to set up and maintain. I did this as my day job for years and it's still tricky ;)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

jordy

No worries, Split DNS is a feature of your router/firewall. I've never seen it on a cheap ISP provided equipment but you may be lucky.

I installed pfSense which is an open source firewall appliance, as a virtual instance. It was my main fiber gateway router so did all my DHCP, DNS and Firewall.

It's not used as my router anymore but I've kept it running for DHCP and DNS...it isn't something simple and easy to set up and maintain. I did this as my day job for years and it's still tricky ;)

Ok tks. Sounds like it's probably beyond my meagre talents. I'll have a look - more out of curiosity than any hope I can make it happen [emoji6]. While I'm waiting for @@Luke to come up with a fix internally, I've set up a shortcut to the WebUi on the phone. Cheers

jaspalgill

Ok tks. Sounds like it's probably beyond my meagre talents. I'll have a look - more out of curiosity than any hope I can make it happen [emoji6]. While I'm waiting for @@Luke to come up with a fix internally, I've set up a shortcut to the WebUi on the phone. Cheers

Yeah take a look, pfSense doesn't need much to run on, and can be virtualized. The trickyness is ensuring it's always on and available, you'll need to direct all your home devices to use the pfSense device for DNS (instead of your main ISP), even for browsing the net. So if that device is down, you'll have everyone in the house complaining!!