Forced transcoding

neik

neik

Yesterday I gave Emby for Samsung (Model: UE46F8580) a try and ended up with mixed impressions.

While I was able to direct stream some files other didn't work that well and ended up being transcoded. The reason for being transcoded was always something like "Subtitle format not supported by device".

Here are two screenshots of the media information of two files which one was transcoded and the other was direct streamed:

post-245525-0-89095900-1520196658_thumb.png

(Direct stream)

post-245525-0-86873300-1520196668_thumb.png

(Transcoding)

To be honest the only difference I see is that the one that was transcoded has external subtitles. Might that be the reason? 

Any hint is appreciated. Thanks! :-)

According to research it does look like subrip in mkv files might be supported, so this is something we can look at adding in an upcoming update to the app. Thanks.

@@SamES

neik

Hi Luke,

thanks for the feedback!

Do you have an explanation why the one file does direct stream and the other one transcodes?

Both files are with h264 encoded and the type subtitle seem to be the same - at least to me.

FrostByte

Are they the same?  The forced subtitle in the first pic is SubRip, the second forced subtitle says SUB

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Which Samsung app are you using?  The store app, or the download?  Noticed you have a 2013 F-series and in Germany?

Edited by FrostByte

neik

We'd have to look at the ffmpeg logs to determine that. thanks.

Here you go, Luke.

ffmpeg-transcode-65242067-a069-412e-b91b-5c307119bc43.txt

Which Samsung app are you using?  The store app, or the download?  Noticed you have a 2013 F-series and in Germany?

I changed the region of my tv to install the official Emby App from the US store.

And yes to the last questions. ;-)

• Like 1

It appears to be due to the app not thinking the subtitles are supported. I would suggest updating to the latest version of Emby Server. That won't necessarily change anything, but will help us rule out an issue with the older version. Thanks.

• Like 1

neik

@@Luke, will try the latest server version and will then come back to you (might take a couple of days).

Big thanks to both of you so far!

neik

@@Luke, just one more question: Is this a generell Emby for Samsung problem or a specific problem of the F-series?

Edited by neik

neik

@@Luke, after further testing I encountered that problem on my Nexus 4 as well. As soon as I add the external (idx/sub) to the stream it starts transcoding.

Would a log help here?

For what it's worth: Converting the image-based subs (idx/sub) to text-based subs (srt) solves that issue. Text-based subs seem to be more (let's say) device-friendly.

This isn't necessarily a problem. Not all devices support sub/idx so transcoding would be normal in those cases.

neik

@@Luke, just tried the streaming using the WebInterface of Emby on my PC -> same result. The moment I turn the externals subs on it starts transcoding.

Again, did you read my previous response? Web browsers do not support sub/idx so this is normal.

neik

Well, I am sorry but I do not have a list with supported devices so I have to ask.

I am trying to help over here by narrowing down the issue.

Now that I know that converting the subs the transcoding no longer is a problem for me.