Jump Forward/Back with Shield Remote

FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept

Would it be possible to add a 5 minute or chapter jump forward/backwards by holding the left or right button more than a second? This is especially a problem in live TV where it can take many minutes to back up 15+ minutes because of the tiny jump back size (which is good in most circumstances).

Even if the holding shortcut doesn't work, it would still be nice to have big jump forward/back buttons in the UI for live TV.

• Like 1

Yes, I second this big time.  Using Emby to record say two NFL games and switching back and forth to watch both games (skipping half times, time outs, etc) is brutal since it can take forever to skip to half time for example.  Basically 2 presses per minute of recorded video (FF) vs 6 presses per minute to RW..

(solved sort of by taking remote control from a PC).

The Emby client on Roku can FF/RW quickly but then there is no 30 second jump which is a pain to just skip commercials. :)

What we need on all clients is the ability to to 30/10 (FF/RW) PLUS have the ability to do real FF/RW to any part of the file to jump through the content quickly.

Carlo

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1

barat

Would love to see something like in KODI where you can configure steps like:
1 pres = 30s

2 press = 1min

3 press = 3min

4 press = 5min 

I think that similar request was sometime ago here on forum but I still need to click multiple times if I want to FF/RW more then few minutes.

• Like 1

Even if it were single click is the 30 second but holding the keypad goes into FF until you let up on the key would work.  However, would be ideal to be able to map these to different keys OR icons on the Overlay.

Edited by cayars

Even if it were single click is the 30 second but holding the keypad goes into FF until you let up on the key would work. 

True FF is problematic in streaming situations as it implies doubling or quadrupling the streaming rate which is probably not possible.

However, would be ideal to be able to map these to different keys OR icons on the Overlay.

We don't have multiple keys on the remotes (they are very simple and we want to stay that way too :)) and we are looking to remove buttons from the OSDs not add more (again, they are getting too complex).

1 pres = 30s

2 press = 1min

3 press = 3min

4 press = 5min 

That exact setup I don't like because I think it is a little too aggressive and makes it impossible to skip, say, 1 minute only.

However, something like skipping by 1 minute after three presses and 5 minutes after 5 presses may be doable and make large skip amounts (when you don't have chapters) more manageable.

FordGT90Concept

Does the Shield Remote have a long arrow press event? If it does, could use that.

If you're worried about OSD clutter, let users add/remove buttons. The UI really does need an explainer anyway because there's a lot of things on there I have no idea what they do.

I think the behavior I'd like is thus:

1 press = -10 seconds

2 press = -60 seconds and listen for more presses for a second, each press subtracts another minute, timer expires, it sends the request to go x number seconds back to the server

Push back once, you'll go back once (like from skipping a commercial). Push back 60 times, you'll go back an hour (or to beginning of stream if less than an hour is availble).

When people know what they want to see is a long while ago, they'll instinctively spam the back button. This set up exploits that natural behavior and is super easy on resources compared to what we have now.

Edited by FordGT90Concept

pünktchen

1 pres = 30s

2 press = 1min

3 press = 3min

4 press = 5min

That exact setup I don't like because I think it is a little too aggressive and makes it impossible to skip, say, 1 minute only.

Have you ever tried this or is it just your personal inner feeling against this?

The same discussion was with Kodi, but gladly the devs ignored those "yesterday people" and implemented it. Now nobody complains about it anymore.

This is one case where I'd say it would be a good idea to copy the exact functionality used by Plex in Android on the ShieldTV.

One button for FF. Can be used to skip through commercials like current functionality in Emby or can be used to FF 2 hours into a 4.5 hour NFL game.

Quick press gives you one minute skip while holding down the button acts similar to FF on Roku and keeps FF until you release the button.

This way if you want to FF say 2.5 hours into an NFL game to resume from half time you can do it with one button push. In Plex they display the Roku BIF files in a popup window while FF so you can see roughly exactly where you are while FF.

Works great and is ideal.

Carlo

Edited by cayars

FordGT90Concept

If it can visualize moving the progress bar without actually moving it until you stop, I think that'd work. The FF/FR functionality could reasonably implemented in both directions too.

Edited by FordGT90Concept

barat

However, something like skipping by 1 minute after three presses and 5 minutes after 5 presses may be doable and make large skip amounts (when you don't have chapters) more manageable.

Well ... actually you can. Press arrow twice = 1minute. As someone asked - have you ever tried how it works in KODI? It's not that 1 press = 30s, 2press = 1.5m, 3press = 4.5m. Kodi waits a while for those press events and only perform action when you stop, so 3 "fast" press = skip 3 minutes.

Also - steps are configurable.

Edited by barat

Also - steps are configurable.

This we're not going to do because the complexity of developing, maintaining and supporting the configuration is just way too high for the 5 people who will actually discover and properly use that configuration :).

So, I am interested in coming up with default functionality that is just intuitive and works well for the majority of people.

Plex they display the Roku BIF files in a popup window while FF so you can see roughly exactly where you are while FF.

They show Roku bif images on the Shield?

This we're not going to do because the complexity of developing, maintaining and supporting the configuration is just way too high for the 5 people who will actually discover and properly use that configuration :).

So, I am interested in coming up with default functionality that is just intuitive and works well for the majority of people.

They show Roku bif images on the Shield?

Yes on many apps they make use of the Bif images (not limited to just Rokus).  They also use these in the NOW PLAYING screen to show where each client is during playback which is cool.

I too think the multiple key press things will be to complex for most people to figure out on their own.  It's not intuitive in the fact that a lot of users will try this on their own.  However pushing and holding the FF/RW button on the other hand is intuitive as many clients/software function this way.

Personally I'd rather push the FF and hold it while watching the progress bar move to 1/2 or 3/4 of the event/show to know I'm roughly where I want to be then to do 5 quick presses to get 5 minutes of FF (essentially 1 press per minute).  If I wanted to jump to half time in an NFL game roughly 2 hours into it that would be 120 presses which is still far to obnoxious to use.

A simple press and hold is all that's needed for continuous FF while a single press is the standard set 30 second FF.  Anyone running both Plex and Emby can check this functionality out in the Plex Android TV client to see how well it works.

I'm working on a press and hold solution for the next beta because, I agree, that is probably the most intuitive behavior.

• Like 2

capitaineflam25

I'm working on a press and hold solution for the next beta because, I agree, that is probably the most intuitive behavior.

Cool, thanks !

This will MAKE MY DAY/WEEK/MONTH for sure!

I love the way Emby listens to it's customer suggestions.  So refreshing compared to the "other camp"!

Carlo

capitaineflam25

I’ve tester 1.5.59 beta and the way FF/FR is now handled is excellent ! Thanks a lot !

Edited by capitaineflam25

I’ve tester 1.5.59 beta and the way FF/FR is now handled is excellent ! Thanks a lot !

Out of curiosity which Shield model are you using and which remote did you use?  Did you try this with the game controller?  

I'm trying this on the 2015 16GB version with game controller or CEC remote and can't get it to work.

Carlo

CBers

Hi carlo,

Sorry i didn’t realised the topic was shield oriented.

It's not, as far as I know.

It should function on all standard Android TV devices.