More than one Shield - How to identify in Emby dashboard?

PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

If you have more than one Shield (or other device) as it displays in the Emby Dashboard as "NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV AndroidTv 1.5.55g"

Is there any way to know which one it is? - Can it be named in the App on the Shield so its given an identifier??

Yes i know i can name it under "devices" but if they both show the same name - not much use :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

mastrmind11

I solved this by deleting shields from the device list and then firing up a shield, played something, and that let me determine which one it was, then named it in devices.  Process of elimination.  Unfortunately Emby does not honor the device's name as it's set on the device itself.  I think I opened a FR for this a while back.

Edited by mastrmind11

PenkethBoy

Thanks

yes i can find out which one it is - but will the server "know" it A vs B when they connect again and provide the default name?

I.e. does it record the unique android ID of the Shield to do this?

@@ebr - any option to do this?

Doesnt the os have a friendly name setting you can customize as well?

Yes, but it doesn't appear to be very easily accessible to the app.  I tried a couple options I found and they didn't work on my NP.

PenkethBoy

Yes i had already changed the name on the shields - but as ebr said does not show up

Changing in emby works via devices

tdiguy

I will have to look into doing this as well. I have 2 mi boxes now, i named both of them in the android tv os but it doesnt show said name on the emby server dashboard. Ok that was actually very easy for me, used the last used by to tell which was which now i can tell which device is in use.

Edited by tdiguy