Emby App on IOS to play content on AppleTV

tgunergun

tgunergun

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to use Emby APP on iPhone to play content on Apple TV?

I used to achieve this with my mede8er player as it shows up as DLNA render in the app, however Apple TV does not support DLNA ;(

PS: Yes there is also Emby APP on AppleTV, but i want to control everything from my mobile :)

Cheers

Tunc

Edited by tgunergun

Hi, our Apple TV app supports remote control, so just start the app and then you can control it from your mobile device.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

tgunergun

Hi, our Apple TV app supports remote control, so just start the app and then you can control it from your mobile device.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

thanks Luke, got it working.

Few more questions :) 

1. If a file needs to be transcoded, remuxed and etc... no matter what we generate a ffpmpeg-xxx log file, dont we?

2. Also when using Emby App on Apple TV, as it does not use DLNA protocol, custom profiles created under DLNA do not take effect? 

UserAgent: AppleCoreMedia/1.0.0.15K600 (Apple TV; U; CPU OS 11_2_6 like Mac OS X; en_gb)

UserAgent: emby.media.emby-tvos/1.0.10 iOS/11.2.6 AppleTV/11.2.6 model/AppleTV6,2 hwp/t8011 build/15K600 (3; dt:163)

Many thanks!

tgunergun

Yes correct on both.

many thanks Luke! Have a great weekend!

So i can not dictate what to play direct, stream or etc.. on Emby for Apple 4k TV?

Edited by tgunergun

There is no need because the app will already direct play whenever possible.

tgunergun

There is no need because the app will already direct play whenever possible.

ACK! seems Apple 4k TV is piece of shite in terms of format support then :)

ACK! seems Apple 4k TV is piece of shite in terms of format support then :)

Yes Apple has extremely limited format support.  Basically, they are interested in supporting any format that comes out of iTunes and that's about it  :P.

We are looking into ways we can increase our compatibility in the app though. 

tgunergun

Yes Apple has extremely limited format support.  Basically, they are interested in supporting any format that comes out of iTunes and that's about it  :P.

We are looking into ways we can increase our compatibility in the app though. 

Sadly its, a friend of mine asked me to try it, but seems i'll fall back to my mede8er player.

Btw, i realized that seek functionality does not work properly for video files... i start a movie, want to jump to 15th minute but no luck, it goes all the way to the end.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Edited by tgunergun

Sadly its, a friend of mine asked me to try it, but seems i'll fall back to my mede8er player.

Btw, i realized that seek functionality does not work properly for video files... i start a movie, want to jump to 15th minute but no luck, it goes all the way to the end.

Is this a known issue?

Cheers

Best thing to do is see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

tgunergun

Best thing to do is see how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

It happens only if I use Emby App on iPhone to play content on Apple 4k TV.

When I open the content directly from Emby App on Apple 4k TV, seek capabilities do work with out any issues.

Attached are the log files...

cheers

ffmpeg-remux-cc165942-a8a1-489a-9b63-1e1c386f2024.txt

server-63655691807.txt

When you it from the phone are you casting to the apple tv app? Or are you using airplay?

tgunergun
Hi Guys,

I realized that seek functionality does not work properly for video files... i start a movie, want to jump to 15th minute but no luck, it goes all the way to the end.

It happens only if I use Emby App on iPhone to play content on Apple 4k TV.

If I open the content directly from Emby App on Apple 4k TV, seek capabilities do work without any issues. I've attached server logs FYI.

Any one seen this problem?

Cheers

Tunc

ffmpeg-remux-cc165942-a8a1-489a-9b63-1e1c386f2024.txt

server-63655691807.txt

tgunergun

Are you seeking from the TV, or seeking from the phone?

seeking from phone... attached 2 photos showing how i do connect from my Emby Iphone app to Emby on AppleTV.

Also last one to show what happens when i try to seek a playing file, it goes straight to the end...

If i start playing a video file from Emby AppleTV App. and then use Apple TV remote app to seek playing file that works, so annoying ;-)

my video files are stored on my desktop where i also run Emby Server.

post-179848-0-28171600-1520118288_thumb.png

post-179848-0-62758800-1520119196_thumb.png

post-179848-0-35490200-1520119197_thumb.png

Edited by tgunergun

tgunergun

Ok we'll test this out, thanks.

@@corey @@ebr

many thanks.

Btw, i also discovered that when you choose to play a file (Emby iphone controls Emby Apple TV) there is no way to skip "resume or play from beginning" dialog box. If the file is played once, you are screwed, must go back to Apple TV remote, select one option to proceed ;-(

Edited by tgunergun

many thanks.

Btw, i also discovered that when you choose to play a file (Emby iphone controls Emby Apple TV) there is no way to skip "resume or play from beginning" dialog box. If the file is played once, you are screwed, must go back to Apple TV remote, select one option to proceed ;-(

Thanks, we're already aware of that and are looking at it.

tgunergun

Thanks, we're already aware of that and are looking at it.

ACK.

Did you also notice a bug about screen saver blocking the app while watching?

Another one i believe is an issue happens when playing music, changing between tracks in the same album, Apple TV app screen does not get updated, it kind of works when changing between albums but kind of delayed, also when you press next icon to play the next track, it does not work all the time, you need to list all the tracks and select 2nd track to get it working...

cheers

Edited by tgunergun

corey

@@tgunergun

Can you clarify the screensaver issue please? What type of content are you viewing and does it happen all the time or is it sporadic? We’re using the native Apple player and the screensaver is entirely OS controlled so I’m not sure what we can do here.

As far as the music issue I’ll have to take a look. Again we’re using the Apple player here as well.

corey

I went through some scenarios in my music library tonight and couldn’t repeat any of the behavior you’ve reported. Can you provide more information about what isn’t updating specifically please? Also if you can provide the media information on the music that’d be great as well.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
tgunergun

I went through some scenarios in my music library tonight and couldn’t repeat any of the behavior you’ve reported. Can you provide more information about what isn’t updating specifically please? Also if you can provide the media information on the music that’d be great as well.

Thanks!

@corey @ebr

sorry, i was away with work last week, attached some screenshots regarding play issues.

1. click on first track on app, it plays and tv shows correct track

2. click on second track on app, it does NOT play at all

3. make a right click on the second track on the app, select play/play-next, then it plays and tv shows correct track

4. pausing a track does not work at all (stop works though)

5. also changing from playing music to video does not update the playlist in the bottom part of the screen

btw, when playing a 1080p HD video from AppleTV 4k app, the resolution does not get corrected (new IOS has this feature and it works for my other apps).. it stucks at 4k while playing a 1080p movie :)

post-179848-0-60936900-1521114808_thumb.png

post-179848-0-52234800-1521114809_thumb.jpg

post-179848-0-04312100-1521114810_thumb.png

post-179848-0-43983200-1521114810_thumb.png

post-179848-0-85298600-1521114810_thumb.jpg

post-179848-0-59317300-1521114812_thumb.png

post-179848-0-72961500-1521115377_thumb.png

Edited by tgunergun

tgunergun

@@tgunergun

Can you clarify the screensaver issue please? What type of content are you viewing and does it happen all the time or is it sporadic? We’re using the native Apple player and the screensaver is entirely OS controlled so I’m not sure what we can do here.

As far as the music issue I’ll have to take a look. Again we’re using the Apple player here as well.

ignore screensaver issue...i disabled it..the problem was, when screensaver kicks in it was not returning to the app.

btw, when playing a 1080p HD video from AppleTV 4k app, the resolution does not get corrected (new IOS has this feature and it works for my other apps).. it stucks at 4k while playing a 1080p movie :)

Hi.  What is "stuck at 4k"...?