Any plans on making a client similar MBC for remote viewing?

dannieboiz

dannieboiz

I'm constantly on the road and use my MBS when I'm in the hotel quite a bit, a lot of times I hook my laptop up to the hotel TV to watch it but it can be annoying to walk up and down. 

Is there any plans to provide a MBC like experience client where I can hook my laptop to the hotel TV and sit back with an IR remote and browse my contents? 

gcw07

You could use your laptop, install MBT on it and get a USB IR blaster and remote. It should work remotely.

• Like 1

Or get a chromecast and take it with you and cast from your phone/tablet/laptop to the hotel tv.  This assumes you can set the CC up on the hotel network - something I haven't tried yet but, if it works, is a great way to take MB on the road just about anywhere.

dannieboiz

I just installed MBT on the laptop using my domain name and it seems to work well. I got a spare MCE RC6 remote/receiver somewhere I'll test that in the morning. So far I'm digging the interface. 

• 1 month later...
dannieboiz

I decided to test this while I'm away and it seems that when using MBT, MBS doesn't do any transcoding becuase there's are lots of lags and my video is barely watchable. Same contents streaming through chrome works fine. 

Deathsquirrel

I decided to test this while I'm away and it seems that when using MBT, MBS doesn't do any transcoding becuase there's are lots of lags and my video is barely watchable. Same contents streaming through chrome works fine. 

That's true, MBT won't be a good solution for this.  Your upstream internet likely isn't fast enough if you're in the US and hotel internet probably isn't fast enough either.  Windows 8.1 client may be a good fit though it's not something you run from a remote control typically as it's setup for touch/mouse.

Sounds more like it is transcoding and the network speeds aren't up to the task.

dannieboiz

My upstream is 12Mbps and my downstream on my aircard was clocked at 7Mbps. 

Deathsquirrel

I definitely wouldn't expect to stream HD with 12Mbps upstream or 7 in the hotel...especially considering how saturated hotel internet is in my experience.  A client that lets you set transcoding preferences to cut that all down a bit will be the way to go.  The windows app, for example, lets you set global transcoding profiles to spit everything out at 720p at various selectable bit rates.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with streaming in a hotel at all since most of them don't have reliably fast in-room wifi.  I throw a dozen movies on a flash card or two before I leave on a trip and just live with local storage.

dannieboiz

I had my brother try MBT at his place with 20Mbps down but he said the connection is choppy. I think I'm spending too much time to be lazy. LOL I'll live with the keyboard.