Occasional playback issues

neik

neik

Hi guys,

I have an Emby Server (3.2.70.0) running on Ubuntu 17.10 (x64) but unfortunately I am experiencing some issues while streaming.

Client is a FireTV Stick Gen2 with Kodi 17.6 and the latest stable Emby for Kodi (2.3.62a).

This doesn't happen all the time, to me it seems to be a bit random actually.

You'll find the log attached.

In case more information is needed, I would be glad to answer them.

Thanks!

embylog.txt

Well this is only a little snippet of a log, but I notice you're not running the latest version of Emby Server. I would suggest updating.

Also I notice you're using our legacy installation package. If you don't mind a complete uninstall followed by a new install, then you'll see better performance and stability from our newer install packages:

https://emby.media/download

Thanks.

neik

Actually, I already did the update but went back because the new version caused a lot of trouble over here. Images weren't load correctly anymore and I was not able to establish a SSL connection to the server anymore.

Yes that's right, it is only an excerpt but as far as I can see there is the error logged. The problem I have is that I do not understand the error message  Do you know why that error occurs? Shall I upload the complete log?

Thanks Luke so far.

That's not an error as far as the server is concerned. It means the client decided to disconnect, which could be for any number of different reasons.

• 1 month later...
neik

Hi @@Luke,

sorry, for picking up such an old topic but unfortunately the problem persists from time to time.

You said this is a client specific problem but interestingly enough whenever this happens the playback on all the client is stopped. You'll find attached a snippet of the server log when two clients were streaming at the same time and both stopped at almost the same time. It might just be coincidence but it seemed strange to me..

Besides, the newer Emby for Kodi (3.0.22) version the setup is exactly the same.

One dumb question: Where do I find the Emby for Kodi log on a FireTV Stick?

€dit: Nevermind, about this question. Attached is the spmc.log!

On line 3806 there is a timeout which might be related to the issue?

emby_log_error_500.txt

spmc.log

Edited by neik

I know we've discussed this in other topics, but please consider updating to the latest version of Emby Server, where it will be much easier to assist you with this. Thanks.

neik

Hi Luke, I would be willing to update but as you might recall unfortunately whenever I update to a newer version I have a handshake problem with my Let's Encrypt certificate and Emby for Kodi (see over here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57306-server-crashing-with-specific-client/page-2).

As I need remote access I am constrained to using SSL.

Just had a look at the error messages in the linked topic and saw this: "(...)alert unknown ca(...)". Shouldn't Let's Encrypt be a known and trusted ca?

There also was question I didn't get an answer to: What exactly happens if I disable "Verify Host SSL Certificate" in Emby for Kodi? Will the connection still be secured by the certificate using SSL?

I would be willing to disable the verification process temporarily if it doesn't affect the secure remote connection.
Then I would also be able to update to the latest Emby server which I would really would like to use.

Well you would be susceptible to a man in the middle attack, which negates some of the benefits.

neik

Well, to be honest I do not know how big of an issue that would be? Anyways, I suppose it would be better than not using SSL at all.

Just found this page on github -> https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings

There it says "Client SSL certificate: Takes a pem.certificate(...)". Does this mean I would need to put the pem-file that Let's Encrypt outputs on the client? Currently I do not do that.

You may need to ask in the Emby for Kodi section. I'm not familiar with those settings in Kodi. Thanks.

• Like 1

Yes that looks server related. I think I misunderstood what you were asking earlier so that's why I sent you to the kodi section. Thanks.

• Like 1

neik

Thanks so far!

I just saw that the latest stable 3.3.1 was used by the user in that thread. Since then a couple of new beta versions have been released, would it be worth to give the latest beta a try?

neik

I will give a try then. Just one more question: Will I be able to switch from the beta over to the new stable (when it is released)?

• 2 weeks later...
neik

Hi @@Luke

I updated to 3.4.0.0 but unfortunately the issue persists.

Here you find a log of spmc with Emby for Kodi in debug mode.

spmc.log

I then tried to put all .pem-files Let's Encrypt creates in the field "Client SSL Certificate" in the Emby for Kodi settings and with the privkey.pem the error message changed. Here is a server log:

embyserver privkey_pem.txt

neik

What I forgot to mention in the post above:

1. This issue also affects the official Emby App for the FireTV-Stick. Using https no connection is possible.

Emby for Android and Emby for Windows 10 (UWP) work flawlessly.

2. I had a look at the logs of this night and I saw that the SSL errors also appear during the night although no client is connected or trying to connect.

Is this issue related to the change from mono to .net?

Edited by neik

• 3 weeks later...
neik

@@Luke, I gave the latest beta 3.4.1.8 a try and to me the SSL issue seem to be solved. This means:

1. The official App for Emby for the FTVS is working flawlessly.

2. I can activate the verification process in Emby for Kodi again.

3. The problem described here (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58139-error-60-ssl-certificate) does not occur anymore.

Big thanks for your patience and support/work in solving this!

Edited by neik