IPTV starting too fast

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I know there has been a lot of work done to speed up LiveTV start times but I think I am running into the opposite issue. I think playback of my IPTV streams is starting before ffmpeg can generate enough of a buffer. When I start playback I almost always getting stuttering and buffering until I pause the video, even if just for a second, and then it is fine for the rest of the time I am watching. I notice this when on the web app, android tv, and roku apps. 

• Like 1

mbnwa
Jdiesel

I'm having trouble reproducing it right now but will capture logs next time it happens

• 5 months later...
okEric

I seem to be running into the same issue. It's like if I could tell it to wait 3 seconds before starting playback and instead use that as a buffer it wouldn't have the pausing issue when first tuning to channels.

okEric

I have switched my IPTV stream to HLS format from ts and it seems to be making things work better overall with streaming. I'm thinking it this may be more of a network/bandwidth issue.

• Like 1

How did you do that?  Do you control the head end that creates the streams?

okEric

How did you do that? Do you control the head end that creates the streams?

I have a m3u playlist and just modified the links so that instead of .ts they end in .m3u8. This is of course something your IPTV provider has to support.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Noah0504

I think there may have been another thread here about the same issue, but I can't seem to find it now, so I'll just add to this one.

I'm using a HDHomeRun with OTA and their premium TV channels.  The OTA streams have to transcode to play on my Roku, so once the stream starts, I don't have any issues with buffering.  However, the premium TV channels can be direct streamed to my Roku and I have the issue every time where it needs to go through 2-3 rounds of buffering before it's able to play continuously with no issues.

I feel like if the direct streams were delayed just a few seconds, it would solve the issue.

I think there may have been another thread here about the same issue, but I can't seem to find it now, so I'll just add to this one.

I'm using a HDHomeRun with OTA and their premium TV channels.  The OTA streams have to transcode to play on my Roku, so once the stream starts, I don't have any issues with buffering.  However, the premium TV channels can be direct streamed to my Roku and I have the issue every time where it needs to go through 2-3 rounds of buffering before it's able to play continuously with no issues.

I feel like if the direct streams were delayed just a few seconds, it would solve the issue.

Hi.  In the case of the Roku, this is all handled by the player on the device.  I don't believe we would have any control over how it buffers in the stream.

Noah0504

Hi.  In the case of the Roku, this is all handled by the player on the device.  I don't believe we would have any control over how it buffers in the stream.

Fair enough!  Thanks for responding.

• 1 month later...
rocky_mtn

I have a m3u playlist and just modified the links so that instead of .ts they end in .m3u8. This is of course something your IPTV provider has to support.

This worked like a champ, downloaded the m3u8 playlist in lieu of the ts playlist, buffering has ceased. Thank you kind sir! I was on the fence with Emby as I just switched from Plex because of a few things that bugged me. One thing that killed me was the live TV would shut itself off if there were no devices on and playing a stream, I LOVE that emby just keeps streaming and I can come back to my TV 8 hours later and just turn it on, and it's still playing...you know, like normal tv. Another was, if I kicked on another TV on my HDMI network, Plex would kick out and I'd have to scramble for the remote to click watch again. Thanks for Emby @@Luke...I have only a few measly requests that I'll keep to myself for now, as they seem petty. =) Good work, and I'll be your next premiere subscriber. Will there perhaps be a Black Friday sale on lifetime keys?