Support tmdb/musicbrainz ID tag in file name

PortableStick

PortableStick

I have some music that is difficult to search for by name on Musicbrainz.  One issue in particular is an artist's name includes some punctuation and the search fails without it.  Now it isn't that big of a deal for me to go to Musicbrainz, get the artist's ID and tell Emby to search by that instead, but I like to have a robust library that I don't need to fix more than once.  I've already had to fix this problem three times in the past couple of days as I borked the 3.3 update and have struggled to reinstall.  It would be nice if I could tag the artist's folder with the Musicbrainz artist or album ID in much the same way that I can add the year so that the search goes off without a hitch next time.

• Like 1

Hi.  I renamed this to be a little more clear in what you are asking for.  Please let us know if I misunderstood it.

We used to have a feature like this but I believe it became too difficult to reconcile with the way that many files are named and tagged.  Perhaps we can find a reliable way in the future though.

• Like 1

PortableStick

For music, would it be possible to put the Musicbrainz ID in the metadata?  One of the most frustrating problems I have is with the 3 Weezer albums, Weezer, Weezer, and Weezer. It's been very difficult telling Emby which album is which.

Yes our support for nfo metadata files allows you to put musicbrainz id's in there.

But you can also use the Identify feature inside Emby Server, you might find that easier.

PortableStick

Yes our support for nfo metadata files allows you to put musicbrainz id's in there.

But you can also use the Identify feature inside Emby Server, you might find that easier.

It is and it isn't.  For many of these artists, what I end up having to do is manually search Musicbrainz and then pass the id to Emby.  That's not hard, but if I ever have to rebuild my database then I'm repeating all this work.  Of course, I'd rather not have to rebuild ever again, though unfortunately I do tend to make mistakes. 

Would it be possible to check the tags with a plugin?

Edited by PortableStick

Jdiesel

I also find Emby music metadata scanning to be very limited. I started using Beets outside of Emby to scan, rename, and download artwork before moving it into my library. I have Beets using acoustic fingerprinting it successfully id's files with a very good success rate. I was doing the OP was doing for the longest time, searching on the MusicBrainz website and copying the ID into Emby for each album.

http://beets.io/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49987-acoustid-music-identification/?hl=acoustid

I wouldn't necessarily call that limiting. It's the same process you would use for movies and TV.

otispresley

I use dbpoweramp to rip my discs to FLAC. It adds cover art and all the information and is probably the most accurate application I have used. You can also purchase songs and albums in FLAC these days; I do so for 24 bit remastered albums and then verify the information is all there before putting them into my library. This makes sure that my information is correct no matter what device I put it on.

With that said, I have found that your file naming is of the utmost importance when relying on Emby to scan your information. For example, I was able to get 100% accuracy with my movies and provide user-friendly names by naming my files like this:

<movie_title> (<year>) (<imdb_id>).mkv
e.x.  Pulp Fiction (1994) (tt0110912).mkv

With music, it appears that the folder structure and naming is important. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B2BTAV6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might also play around with including (<artist_id>) at the end of your Artist folder name and such. My method for movie file naming was not documented, but it does work.

Edited by otispresley
  • Like 1

Jdiesel

The major different between music and movies/tv is that the movies/tv meta is grabbed correctly almost every time granted you label your folders correctly. With music the results are often mixed. For example, the artist Adele is not identified correctly. When you click on "Identify" and enter Adele this is the result

5a98281aeb55e_Capture.png

There are four results for Adele, I assume Emby is selecting the first one which is incorrect. So the options are select each one until you get the correct artist by trail and error or load up the Musicbrainz website and find the ID and copy it into the Emby Identify search. After a library scan Emby identified approximately 800 out of my 100 artists. I know you mentioned that loading the artwork in the search results was a limitation of the provider API. It is very time consuming to import music into Emby at the moment especially for those with large libraries.