Android HD audio passthrough

clarkss12

clarkss12

In another thread, you stated that Emby client will passthrough HD audio if the device supports it.  Well, I am using a Mecool M8S Pro L (amlogic S912 SoC, arm device), that supports native HD audio.  Using your builtin player, while playing Avatar I get DTS readout on my Denon AVR.  However, if I use external player (VLC), my AVR display shows "DTS-HD MA".  What can be done to get HD audio to passthrough on this device.......

server log with VLC.txt

Server log.txt

• Like 1

clarkss12

Please send a log from the app so we can see what your box is actually reporting.  Thanks.

How do I get the log from the app??

Edit:  Created syslogs using syslog app from Aptoid Store.  Hopefully, this will give you what you need.  The app is supposed to strip any identifying information from the logs.....

2018-02-26_21.49-emby.zip

Edited by clarkss12

Its a good thing you did that because it looks like you have blocked the app from reading the logs:

12-31 19:00:27.921 W/PackageManager( 4460): Not granting permission android.permission.READ_LOGS to package tv.emby.embyatv (protectionLevel=50 flags=0x3818be44)

It looks like the item you played (Avatar) has two DTS tracks.  One of them is DTS and the other is DTS-HD.  Are you sure you selected the DTS-HD one?

Edit: Never mind.  I can see now the logic in the app is restricting DTS-HD to the Shield.  I'll see if I can loosen that up.

clarkss12

Its a good thing you did that because it looks like you have blocked the app from reading the logs:

12-31 19:00:27.921 W/PackageManager( 4460): Not granting permission android.permission.READ_LOGS to package tv.emby.embyatv (protectionLevel=50 flags=0x3818be44)

It looks like the item you played (Avatar) has two DTS tracks.  One of them is DTS and the other is DTS-HD.  Are you sure you selected the DTS-HD one?

Edit: Never mind.  I can see now the logic in the app is restricting DTS-HD to the Shield.  I'll see if I can loosen that up.

Thanks, that would be great to get HD audio out of that box.

clarkss12

App updated, to new version, now the video will not run, very, very jerky, looks like 1 fps.  How do I go back to previous version?

post-38990-0-72975700-1519772802_thumb.jpg

server log.txt

2018-02-27_18.00.zip

Edit:  I went into the Android settings and cleared the cache and data, now it seems to work better, but still just DTS.

Thanks

Edit 2:  Noticed that after clearing the data and cache, the video was transcoding.  Went into the Emby playback settings and changed the max streaming bitrate from auto to 100mbs, now the 1 fps is back again.  Changed it back to auto, and is playing well, but transcoding but is buffering.

I have always set the max bitrate to 100mbs.

Edited by clarkss12

Sounds like your box cannot really handle the DTS-HD stream (at least not via Exoplayer).

I probably will need to revert what I did and continue to limit this to the Shield.

If you have something with a TrueHD track, try that.  I imagine that will work better.

CBers

Sounds like your box cannot really handle the DTS-HD stream (at least not via Exoplayer).

So an EXOPLAYER shortcoming, rather than the hardware?

clarkss12

I probably will need to revert what I did and continue to limit this to the Shield.

If you have something with a TrueHD track, try that.  I imagine that will work better.

Tested my "Enemy at the Gates" encoded with True HD and it plays in Dolby D, same as my other videos encoded with everything except DTS-HD, and they play in DTS.

clarkss12

Not sure if this is a side effect of the newest Android version, (AndroidTv 1.5.54g), but when I combine my Videos, I only get 150 to be shown.  I my videos in three folders, Kid,s movies, Ron's movies and BlueRay Movies.  If I separate them, I can find all of my 517 videos, if I combine the folders onto one main "Movies" folder, I can't find anything past 150 of my videos, in my case nothing past movies that start with the letter "E".

Using Emby Theater under windows, I do not have this issue, only Android, and ALL of my Android devices.

clarkss12

The grouping feature under user profiles. That's what you did right?

I have always done that, and it always showed my 517 movies.  It just started showing only 150 and only 150 accessible.

CBers

I have always done that, and it always showed my 517 movies. It just started showing only 150 and only 150 accessible.

Do you have COLLECTIONS enabled?

It might be that there are 517, but they are displayed as a single collection, instead of multiple movies.

If not, ignore me.