How do you use the LG app?

GhostRider

GhostRider

I am currently old school with a HTPC, all the heavy lifting is done on the HTPC and Emby server PC.

I am thinking of upgrading to an LG OLED TV. So, I am wondering, how do you run the LG app? I assume the transcoding is done on the Emby server and the LG app interface looks much like Emby Theatre on my HTPC. My main question is connection. My HTPC PC and other devices connect to the receiver which handles the sound and pass the video onto my current TV.

If I buy an LG TV and switch to the LG app I have two questions:

1) Do I need to run a HDMI connection back from the TV to my receiver to play the sound thoguh my HiFi system?

2) Who does the upscaling? Say I have an old DVD and a 4K LG TV does Emby server upscale to 4K or does the TV get a SD video form the Emby LG app and the TV then does the up scaling?

• 2 weeks later...
GhostRider

I have had a close look at the LG TVs. The ones I have had a look at have limited connectivity for a HiFi receiver, either ARC in HDMI or optical. Both which are limited and cannot carry high definition audio.

How do members of this forum use the LG app? Do you just use the TV's inbuilt sound capabilities or do you connect it to a hifi system. If the latter how do you manage to get full HD audio?

Edited by GhostRider

CBers

@@GhostRider I have the LG C7V TV and I have it connected to an LG soundbar (SJ9).

The soundbar is connected to my TV via the HDMI ARC connection.

No problems with audio connected that way when using the Emby for LG TV app.

Although, I predominantly use the Emby Android TV app on my Shield TV connected directly to the soundbar.

Hope this helps.

GhostRider

Thanks CBers

I am trying to work out if to use the LG App and remove my HTPC or keep my HTPC. Using HDMI ARC is not ideal, at best it can send only 5.1 (Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM), but not codecs such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-X etc. Some TVs only send two channels over ARC. The new e-ARC is probably the answer but it is not implemented even on the latest TVs from LG as far as I can determine.

If I keep my HTPC I can pass the high definition audio say from a blu-ray player and HTPC to the receiver. Alas I cannot get high def audio from the TV using apps like Emby and others on the TV. Seems I am stuck with the HTPC and Emby Theater but I will still not be able to get high def audio from any app on the LG TV.

LG TVs also have an optical out but that has the same limitations as HDMI ARC. I like the LG OLED TVs but maybe I need to look at other TVs to see if they have a full HDMI audio output.

Edited by GhostRider

CBers

My LG soundbar receives DD, DD+, DTS and Atmos via HDMI ARC when playing from my Shield TV.

The LG app though, wants to transcode 4K content!!

I would advise a Shield TV at the moment, as the ATV app is far superior to the LG (and Samsung) app at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

andyblac644

My LG soundbar receives DD, DD+, DTS and Atmos via HDMI ARC when playing from my Shield TV.

The LG app though, wants to transcode 4K content!!

I would advise a Shield TV at the moment, as the ATV app is far superior to the LG (and Samsung) app at the moment.

Just my thoughts.

then you are magical :) ARC can't do DD+, or any form of Atmos / DTS-HD / X.

are you sure it going through TV first then back to soundbar ?

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

Thanks CBers

I am trying to work out if to use the LG App and remove my HTPC or keep my HTPC. Using HDMI ARC is not ideal, at best it can send only 5.1 (Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM), but not codecs such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, DTS-X etc. Some TVs only send two channels over ARC. The new e-ARC is probably the answer but it is not implemented even on the latest TVs from LG as far as I can determine.

eARC (HDMI 2.1) was ratified to late for the current 2018 lineup, LG have stated they doubt any 2018 models will be getting eARC, you'll have to wait for 2019 models.

Edited by andyblac644

CBers

then you are magical :) ARC can't do DD+, or any form of Atmos / DTS-HD / X.

are you sure it going through TV first then back to soundbar ?

No, LG released a firmware that allows it.

I'm sure we've had this conversation before.

For me it works, so I'm saying no more.

andyblac644

No, LG released a firmware that allows it.

I'm sure we've had this conversation before.

For me it works, so I'm saying no more.

i pretty sure you must be going from ATV to soundbar then on to TV . (thats not ARC)

Edited by andyblac644

CBers

i pretty sure you must be going from ATV to soundbar then on to TV . (thats not ARC)

As I said previously, the Shield is connected directly to the HDMI on the soundbar, then from the ARC HDMI on the soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the TV.

There's no magic going on.

andyblac644

As I said previously, the Shield is connected directly to the HDMI on the soundbar, then from the ARC HDMI on the soundbar to the ARC HDMI on the TV.

There's no magic going on.

thats NOT ARC that passthough ;)

ARC is where you are using ONE HDMI cable to pass audio in both directions.

Edited by andyblac644

andyblac644

Whatever, it works.

please don't call it ARC, your confusing users. and stating none accurate facts

CBers

please don't call it ARC, your confusing users. and stating none accurate facts

It's still ARC, as if I connect the soundbar to a non-HDMI port on the TV, I get sync issues.

GhostRider

Checked out this web page from no less than the HDMI forum

http://hdmiforum.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/HDMI-Forum-2.1-November-Release-Presentation-EN.pdf

Pages 43 and 45 I think tell the facts. ARC and eARC differences on page 45. eARC only on HDMI 2.1 page 43. New LG TV 55C8PUA only has HDMI 2.0 ports.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55C8PUA-oled-4k-tv

Page 43 may also answer my other query on the new LG TVs i.e. support for HDR10+ when it comes out. Dynamic HDR needs HDMI 2.1. HDMI 2.1 needs new cables, but can LG implement HDMI 2.1 with a firmware update? If so they could introduce eARC and HDR10+ support.

Edited by GhostRider

It's still ARC, as if I connect the soundbar to a non-HDMI port on the TV, I get sync issues.

The confusion is probably just from labeling as, I'm sure, the TV has one of the HDMI inputs labeled as "(ARC)".  While you may be connected to this port, it doesn't mean you are using the ARC (Audio Return Channel) functionality of that port.

The way you have the system connected, you are passing video and audio to the soundbar, the soundbar is taking the audio and then passing the video on to the TV for display.  This is just straight pass-thru and not utilizing ARC.

True ARC functionality would have your Shield connected to your TV and  your soundbar connected to the HDMI (ARC) port on the TV and the Shield would send the video and audio to the TV and the TV would pass the audio on to the soundbar via the ARC channel.

GhostRider

Sounds like if I use the Emby LG app on the TV I can only get Dolby Digital, DTS, and PCM and possibly object based Dolby Atmos as LG say they decode it.

CBers

The confusion is probably just from labeling as, I'm sure, the TV has one of the HDMI inputs labeled as "(ARC)". While you may be connected to this port, it doesn't mean you are using the ARC (Audio Return Channel) functionality of that port.

The way you have the system connected, you are passing video and audio to the soundbar, the soundbar is taking the audio and then passing the video on to the TV for display. This is just straight pass-thru and not utilizing ARC.

True ARC functionality would have your Shield connected to your TV and your soundbar connected to the HDMI (ARC) port on the TV and the Shield would send the video and audio to the TV and the TV would pass the audio on to the soundbar via the ARC channel.

I agree, but there are known video sync issues when connected that way.

If what I do is passthrough, then so be it, but it all works for me :)

GhostRider

Some interesting info in this interview with LG

Yet another important feature is support for Dolby Atmos immersive sound. Of course, the TV’s speakers can’t fully re-create an immersive soundfield—even the large soundbar included with the W8. The important point here is that a Dolby Atmos bitstream can be sent via HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) to an AV receiver or Atmos soundbar. The bitstream is encoded in Dolby Digital Plus, not Dolby TrueHD. Also, the AVR or soundbar must be able to inform the TV via HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) that it is Dolby Atmos-compatible.

So current ARC is limited as we would expect with ARC technology.

The Alpha 9 also supports high frame rates up to 120 fps with 4K UHD resolution via USB and 2K HD resolution via HDMI 2.0. (Tim said that HDMI 2.1 could be implemented in the 2019 models.)

So no HDMI 2.1 this year and therefore no enhanced eARC.

From  this review

http://www.avsforum.com/lg-2018-tv-reviewers-workshop

You also need HDMI 2.1 for dynamic HDR support (e.g. HDR10+ when that arrives) so I have decided to wait until 2019 before upgrading my TV.