How to setup Emby for Metadata retrieval

lightsout
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

lightsout

This has been a thorn in my flesh for some time. It was working and then it wasn't, I came on here for help, thought I had fixed it but recently been adding new movies and still have issues. I would really appreciate some insight.

1. What triggers Emby to retrieve metadata? I can add a file, select the "scan all libraries" button, or go into the specific library and select "scan". It doesn't seem to grab the images. 

What seems to trigger it is if I  open the webui and go to the movie, what is odd is sometimes in the webui the movie will have artwork, then all of a sudden they start showing up in the folder for the movie.

I would love a fool proof way to do this manually whenever I want

2. Can I set Emby to scan more often, I would like it to look for files say every hour. I have had new media sit for two days and never get any posters downloaded.

I am going to attach my settings and the recent log file when I added a new title. Thanks

server-63654595200.txt

post-4065-0-45967900-1519077622_thumb.jpg

lightsout

Sure, I ad a movie to my movies folder with the proper naming:

October Baby (2011)

12 hours go by and there is still no artwork in the folder, I manually scan my library and still nothing happens. I seem to have to go into the webui, sometimes into the metadata manager to get it to download the artwork into the local folder.

• Solution
Happy2Play

Sure, I ad a movie to my movies folder with the proper naming:

October Baby (2011)

12 hours go by and there is still no artwork in the folder, I manually scan my library and still nothing happens. I seem to have to go into the webui, sometimes into the metadata manager to get it to download the artwork into the local folder.

Sounds like the option you have disabled.

Download images in advance
By default, most images are only downloaded when requested by an Emby app. Enable this option to download all images in advance, as new media is imported. This may cause significantly longer library scans.
  • Like 1

lightsout

Sounds like the option you have disabled.

Download images in advance
By default, most images are only downloaded when requested by an Emby app. Enable this option to download all images in advance, as new media is imported. This may cause significantly longer library scans.

Oh jeez, I never knew what that meant and was told last time it was not necessary. I think you just solved my issue sir! We shall see.

Apparently I never read that.

Edited by lightsout

Oh jeez, I never knew what that meant and was told last time it was not necessary. 

It isn't necessary.  The images will be downloaded when they are needed.

There is really no reason to hammer the free providers we use for every single image that may or may not ever be viewed :).

lightsout

It isn't necessary.  The images will be downloaded when they are needed.

There is really no reason to hammer the free providers we use for every single image that may or may not ever be viewed :).

I prefer to have them stored locally, so when I move drives around, use different apps, etc. They are where they need to be.