3.0.141.0 - Error attempting to update, please update manually

doron
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I start MBC, it immediately finds there's a new version (3.0.141.0 DEV) and asks me to install it. I say yes, it tells me the subsequent message, I say OK, and then (immediately within MBC) I get the error message in the topic subject.

Not that I know how to update manually :-)

Anyone else seeing this? Any idea?

Logos302

Update manually is just going to www.mediabrowser3.com and downloading setup.exe for MBC again.  But unless you need the dev version for testing I would set your update level to beta or release.  

Update manually is just going to www.mediabrowser3.com and downloading setup.exe for MBC again.  But unless you need the dev version for testing I would set your update level to beta or release.  

Thanks. I stick to the dev version to provide feedback and input for devs... my comment re not knowing how to manually update was wrt the dev version (IIRC, the installer from the web site would install the release or beta version).

Any idea why the particular problem would occur?

Logos302

I'm not really sure, but as far as I interpreter the error message that is what it is telling you to do. The Windows Event log might tell you more or the mbc-install.log (Might have the name slightly off)

Edited by Logos302
  • Like 1

I'm not really sure, but as far as I interpreter the error message that is what it is telling you to do. The Windows Event log might tell you more or the mbc-install.log (Might have the name slightly off)

Thanks. Of course you're right re the log. Pasted below.

MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Installing Media Browser Classic
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Attempting to retrieve latest version of MBClassic
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Found 1 versions.  Will choose latest one of Dev class
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Version is 3.0.141.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Downloading Media Browser Classic version 3.0.141.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Successfully downloaded version 3.0.141.0
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Archive is MSI installer C:\Users\Doron\AppData\Local\Temp\MediaBrowser\MediaBrowserClassic.msi
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Calling msi install
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Error: 0 : Error shutting down - InvalidOperationException - Cannot set Visibility to Visible or call Show, ShowDialog, Close, or WindowInteropHelper.EnsureHandle while a Window is closing.
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Deleting Pismo install files
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Attempting to start program C:\Windows\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}
MediaBrowser.Classic.Installer.exe Information: 0 : Installation complete

• Solution

For some reason, some people are missing the installer executable that is needed for the update.

Re-installing from the website should restore this and then allow the automatic update to work.

• Like 1

For some reason, some people are missing the installer executable that is needed for the update.

Re-installing from the website should restore this and then allow the automatic update to work.

It does and it did. Thanks for this.

The bad news is that now it brought back "the other" problem. 141 would not really install, so every invocation brings back the update dialog, downloads, and restarts MBC (too) quickly only to repeat that. This issue.