Amazon firestick and fire tv

tdiguy

Guest asrequested

Have you tried a factory reset, and letting it update before you start using it? I had a bunch of issues before I did that.

mastrmind11

I have 2 mi boxes now in the house, because i kept having weird issues with the firestick and it was annoying the daylights out of me. One thing that is odd is that it seems like one of my mi boxes freezes up playing live tv. It is as if its having an issue with connectivity the whole picture stays on the same scene for a few seconds and audio stops then it picks right back up. This mi box is connected to a wifi ac AP that is about 10 inches maybe a foot from it. Its a really nice AP with more settings to play with than i am used to. What should i start looking at to get smooth playback? 

First thing I'd do is hardwire it to rule out the wifi.  However, I will say in my experience, that wifi is almost always the culprit.  Regardless of the technology, it wasn't designed for bursts in bitrate, especially if youre playing raw media like live tv.  The main reason I hard wired my mibox.  FWIW, if you do decide that it's a wifi issue, and you are unable to run a hard line to the box, MoCA is an amazing alternative to ethernet.  If that's the case, we can take this offline and I'll share my experience converting with you.

tdiguy

Have you tried a factory reset, and letting it update before you start using it? I had a bunch of issues before I did that.

I actually had started using it while it was running an update. I should probably do a good reset on it and let it update without much more than my account info. Just realized i also joined the beta program, probably should have tested the mi box out a bit more first before joining.

Edited by tdiguy

tdiguy

First thing I'd do is hardwire it to rule out the wifi.  However, I will say in my experience, that wifi is almost always the culprit.  Regardless of the technology, it wasn't designed for bursts in bitrate, especially if youre playing raw media like live tv.  The main reason I hard wired my mibox.  FWIW, if you do decide that it's a wifi issue, and you are unable to run a hard line to the box, MoCA is an amazing alternative to ethernet.  If that's the case, we can take this offline and I'll share my experience converting with you.

i will give this a try if i cant get wireless working well. I am trying to not fully populate my new switch though :)

Guest asrequested

You can also look at what bandwidth your AP is broadcasting. The MiBox doesn't seem to like high bandwidth. I have mine at HT40 for 2Ghz, but seems ok at 80 for 5Ghz.

Edited by Doofus

tdiguy

You can also look at what bandwidth your AP is broadcasting. The MiBox doesn't seem to like high bandwidth. I have mine at 40.

Ok, i will have to check out some qos then. This AP is a decent one with duel band wifi ac.

tdiguy

You can also look at what bandwidth your AP is broadcasting. The MiBox doesn't seem to like high bandwidth. I have mine at HT40 for 2Ghz, but seems ok at 80 for 5Ghz.

is that a setting in emby on the mi box?

Just realized you are talking about the wifi channel width. I have mine all set to auto. so for 2.4 its 20/40 and then 20/40/80 on 5ghz

Edited by tdiguy

mastrmind11

is that a setting in emby on the mi box?

Just realized you are talking about the wifi channel width. I have mine all set to auto. so for 2.4 its 20/40 and then 20/40/80 on 5ghz

thats an AP setting.  try an iperf test from a wireless device in the vicinity of the mibox to the server.  should be pretty telling.  but again, 1 way to rule the AP out for sure is to just hardwire the mibox and see if it happens.

tdiguy

I am going to experiment more with my AP. I pulled out of the beta program for the android app and turn off the smart power settings on my AP and the freezing seems to be gone. At least for the 40 minutes i watched tv last night. I noticed though that the stable version of emby does not play as nice with vlc as the beta did at least not on my mi box. 

• 3 weeks later...
CarlosLima

Hi, using the Emby application on Fire Tv, the movie starts playing but in the first five minutes the movie shows black screen and hangs. Is it possible to fix this problem anyway?
Thanks for any tip.