Grey screen during playback

KnuklZ

Hi all,

New user of Emby here.

Running Emby client (v. 1.5.32g) on Android TV and have noticed an intermittent issue during playback.

After about 10 minutes into the video, the screen turns grey and the only thing I can do at that point is force close the app.

I have sent the debug logs to developers using the Send Logs option (sent around 6:45pm EST user KnuklZ).

Update - just happened again and new set of Logs sent at 7:22pm EST.

Hoping that the crash logs are included in the diagnostics as I have to force close and reopen app first before debug logs can be sent,

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Where would be the best place to ask for support?

Really like the client app but the intermittent crashes kind of take the fun out of it.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Edited by KnuklZ

I can't tell from your log but that behavior sounds like an out of memory problem in the player.

What else is installed/running on the box at the time?

I can't tell from your log but that behavior sounds like an out of memory problem in the player.

What else is installed/running on the box at the time?

Thanks for your reply.

Running this on a Mi box device (Android 6.0.1) and I have uninstalled some of the bloat ware that came with it.

I only installed Perfect Player, ES File Explorer, Netflix and Emby.

In some cases the grey screen happens during playback after we rebooted the device.

Then we play the same file and it works

Unfortunately I can't tell what the overall memory usage is on the system. It only shows internal storage and there is over 3GB left.

I will send more logs up if it reoccurs, maybe you will see something.

Thanks again for your help.

Edited by KnuklZ

When you say intermittent, is that intermittent from one video to the next, or is it also intermittent if you play the same video multiple times? If you play the same video multiple times, does it happen in the same spot each time? 

When you say intermittent, is that intermittent from one video to the next, or is it also intermittent if you play the same video multiple times? If you play the same video multiple times, does it happen in the same spot each time? 

Good question. I usually watch from the point where it crashed and it resumes a few second prior to the spot where it crashed. It plays past the same spot without a problem.

My wife was watching Emby and complained that it would crash every 10 minutes but then after 3-4 crashes she would be able to watch without any issues at all for hours.

I will see if I can get the same result re-watching shows again where we have had issues before.

Surprised that nothing shows in the debug logs

@@ebr Question @@ebr, in the debug logs that you have. Do you see the events prior to the app being force closed?

The only way for me to send the logs is to force close app. start Emby and then trigger Send Logs.

If there are no logs captured prior to app restart, I will try to get the debug logs another way and provide them for you to debug.

Luke, I played a file 5 times that previously caused Emby to crash and Emby crashed every time. It did not crash at the same spot, it crashed between 10-14 minutes into playback.

Each time I restarted Emby and started the file from the beginning.

Thanks

Edited by Luke

@@ebr Question @@ebr, in the debug logs that you have. Do you see the events prior to the app being force closed?

The only way for me to send the logs is to force close app. start Emby and then trigger Send Logs.

Yeah, that's the basic problem with these crashes.  They are happening inside the player and therefore are not caught by our exception trapping which would send us a log automatically.  Then, by the time you force re-start and send another log, the actual cause of the problem is no longer there.  On some occasions, the log will survive enough for me to see it which is why I ask to do this anyway but that was not the case for you.

Luke, I played a file 5 times that previously caused Emby to crash and Emby crashed every time. It did not crash at the same spot, it crashed between 10-14 minutes into playback.

Each time I restarted Emby and started the file from the beginning.

Can you tell me exactly when (EST) one of those occurred?  Perhaps I can find something on the Amazon side.

Finally, if you would like to try the beta, it does update the player which may have an impact here.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's the basic problem with these crashes.  They are happening inside the player and therefore are not caught by our exception trapping which would send us a log automatically.  Then, by the time you force re-start and send another log, the actual cause of the problem is no longer there.  On some occasions, the log will survive enough for me to see it which is why I ask to do this anyway but that was not the case for you.

Can you tell me exactly when (EST) one of those occurred?  Perhaps I can find something on the Amazon side.

Finally, if you would like to try the beta, it does update the player which may have an impact here.

Thanks.

When the grey screen occurs, is there another means to collect the logs (without restarting the app) which I can collect and attach to a post?

My Mi box is running Android TV 6.0.1

I signed up as a beta tester, how long will it take to get the beta version?

Good thing is that once I have the beta version I can play the test file to see if it makes a difference.

I will run the file again this morning and provide you with exact crash times.

When the grey screen occurs, is there another means to collect the logs (without restarting the app) which I can collect and attach to a post?

My Mi box is running Android TV 6.0.1

I signed up as a beta tester, how long will it take to get the beta version?

Good thing is that once I have the beta version I can play the test file to see if it makes a difference.

I will run the file again this morning and provide you with exact crash times.

Crash times this morning (EST):

• 10:12 am
  • 10:22 am
  • 10:32 am

Crash times this morning (EST):

• 10:12 am
  • 10:22 am
  • 10:32 am

You also sent a manual report at 10:15 and I see you are still on the release version.

Try forcing an update of the app.

You also sent a manual report at 10:15 and I see you are still on the release version.

Try forcing an update of the app.

I clicked on the link from your post and it confirmed that I am now registered as a beta tester.

When opening Emby, there is no notification to upgrade to the beta version.

I don't see an in app option to force an app upgrade to the beta version.

What are the steps to force an upgrade?

Just do a check for system updates from the normal device menu.

Ended up reinstalling the app. It is now at 1.5.52g

Is that the beta version?

I will test the file to see if problem persists.