Emby Web Server

MClements130

MClements130

Hello, Community

So I'm new to Linux and was curious as to why I can't open port 80,443 so I can link it up to my domain. My Linux Software is CentOS 7. My VPS Provider does not port any ports at all. So it has to be something with the CentOS 7 Software. Can anybody give me any leads as to what I should do to open these ports I looked at different forums and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Thanks

Hi, I'm not an expert on CentOS but using 80 and 443 is always going to be more complicated. It may require elevation. Aside from that, @@fc7 may know.

mastrmind11

Hello, Community

So I'm new to Linux and was curious as to why I can't open port 80,443 so I can link it up to my domain. My Linux Software is CentOS 7. My VPS Provider does not port any ports at all. So it has to be something with the CentOS 7 Software. Can anybody give me any leads as to what I should do to open these ports I looked at different forums and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Thanks

Open those ports where?  If you mean at the server level, everything is open unless explicitly blocked by you in the linux firewall (which, since you are new to linux, I doubt you did).  Open the ports at the router level and map them to the default Emby ports on your server and you're good to go.  If that's not what you mean, then explain in more detail.

mastrmind11

Well I looked at the ports and states to me that they are stealth

What is the output of 

nmap localhost

I assume you want Emby to be accesible on port 80 and 443. As mentioned by @@Luke, ports below 1024 are privileged ports and the processes opening those ports needs to escalate privileges in order to do so.

So either you run Emby as root or you need to use any other port above 1024.

Thanks.

Edited by fc7

Jdiesel

There are some ways around this. I made iptable rules to route external 80/443 connections to internal 8096/8920 ports.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/413807/is-there-a-way-for-non-root-processes-to-bind-to-privileged-ports-on-linux

I never had much luck with "CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE" on Ubuntu and the Mono version of Emby Server but maybe things have changed with .NET Core version.

Edited by Jdiesel