10bit content - audio only in web browser

yacoob

Hello there,

I'm currently evaluating Emby as a Plex replacement, after getting annoyed with long standing bugs in Plex. Inevitably, I'll come back with a long list of things that I've found, that I'd like to work "slightly differently" :), but for the moment, I've discovered that all of my 10bit content won't play properly in the browser. Specifically, I'll get audio only - and a black or green screen instead of video. All of this content plays fine on an Android phone, or through a Kodi plugin. It also plays fine in the browser if I force the quality to one that is slightly lower than the original stream - guess I force the transcoding this way. Here's an example of such content:

Codec H264
AVC Yes
Profile High 10
Level 40
Resolution 704x480
Aspect ratio 4:3
Anamorphic No
Interlaced No
Framerate 23.9760246
Bitrate 2462 kbps
Bit depth 10 bit
Pixel format yuv420p10le
Ref frames 1
NAL 4
Title 480P H264

On "Auto" quality, I get a green screen. If I force it to "480 2.5Mbps", I get both audio and video playing correctly. I'd like to sort this out somehow - I'm using OSX, and given there's no native app for it, I'd like to get things working in the browser.

This is for OSX 10.13.3, Chrome 64.0.3282.140 and Emby server 3.2.70.0 running on top of a Debian 9.3 box. I'm happy to provide more information as needed.

Edited by yacoob

Sure thing. Thanks for the link to the instructions. Here we go :>

I've cleared the logs directory, restarted the server, reload the relevant video's page, and clicked 'play'. The quality was set to 'Auto'. I've pulled up stats for nerds, for a good measure. :) I got a green rectangle instead of the video, correct subtitles and audio:

5a849284e8f15_ScreenShot20180214at194103

Here's the file information, as displayed by emby:

5a8492c4da1b1_ScreenShot20180214at193733

Chrome 64.0.3282.140 under OSX 10.13.3 playing from Emby server 3.2.70.0 running on top of a Debian 9.3 box. Logs attached.

emby-logs.tgz

Ok, Chrome does support 10 bit video on other platforms so I guess we'll  have to add a check for OSX to exclude that. Thanks.