Shield Pro Refresh Rate issue?

solidus28

solidus28

I just picked up a Shield Pro and I'd say it's damn near flawless from the previous attempt I made with one.  I do have one, fairly minor issue, though.  I can't quite find the pattern.

First, I have Emby set to do refresh rate switching and prefer exact, both checkboxes are checked.  Most of the time, when I watch something, I see the screen flicker as the refresh rate changes and all is well, nice and smooth.  Sometimes, I see the flicker, and the Emby OSD will even show that it's 23.98 (I think that's it :) ), but the video is not smooth.  It's not jerky per se, it's just like there are frames being dropped or something, not quite sure how to explain.  If I pause it and resume, the video smooths out and things look great again.

I posted a log around 3:10p ET and I'd say somewhere between 3:00p & 3:10p the issue was captured.  I played Mission Impossible 3 for a couple minutes, no issue, then I switched to an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm and the issue exhibited itself.  I waited about a minute I think before pause/resume, then it cleared up.  It doesn't seem to repeat every time, but it happens pretty frequently.

Thanks in advance!  Let me know what else I can provide.

I think the only thing I can tell you to try would be to uncheck the exact rate matching and see if that is better.

If it isn't, then try just unchecking the switching entirely.  I have found that my TV does a fine job of adjusting to whatever the source rate is without trying to manually switch like this.  In the rare case where it doesn't, I can switch it with the menu during playback.

solidus28

Yeah, I tried unchecking the exact option, and I see it goes to 24, but then I get slight jerkiness at regular intervals.  I've been living without refresh switching for years and it's not that bad :)  I haven't had much time to test, but I'll leave it off for now and see how it goes.  And I'll manually adjust when the occasion calls for it.

solidus28

Eric (or anyone :) )

I'm pretty satisfied leaving the refresh rate change off, but for the occasions I want to try it manually, I'm noticing if I'm playing HDR content, I lose the HDR.  Example, if I start a movie at 59.xx Hz, HDR kicks in.  If I use the OSD to toggle to the exact rate, 23.98, the refresh change happens, but HDR is lost.  Do you have any HDR content?  Would uploading a log help?  Just curious if that's something known/fixable.

Thanks!

It is possible HDR is only supported in certain display modes.

Or that the function to switch display modes in Android doesn't support it properly.

Looking at the display modes reported by your system, I don't see any indication that the app can control this.