Please remove the nag screen

TraySteel

TraySteel

Can you remove the annoying nag screen that comes up daily?

I understand that you want people to pay for your product and I would if you implemented a per app purchase like Plex has. There's no way I'm paying for this with your subscription model.

Maybe I am misreading this, but my understanding is that you can purchase just the app (like Plex) for a one-time fee (at least with android). I apologize if I am misunderstanding you.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you remove the annoying nag screen that comes up daily?

I understand that you want people to pay for your product and I would if you implemented a per app purchase like Plex has. There's no way I'm paying for this with your subscription model.

You can buy the app one time for life for $119 and you'll never get another nag screen again.

https://emby.media/premiere.html

You'll also get access to tons of additional features, and many other apps you can use. :)

TraySteel

You can buy the app one time for life for $119 and you'll never get another nag screen again.

https://emby.media/premiere.html

You'll also get access to tons of additional features, and many other apps you can use. :)

I'm currently a Plex lifetimer and don't see the value in over $100 for these types of software. I don't need tons of other features or other apps. I want a solid server and player app with good support (the reason I'm trying Emby in the first place)

My point is that Emby is a far less popular alternative to Plex and as such the nag screen is a real disincentive to use at a free level (Plex at the this level offers the same features without any nag screen). It could nag me every hour and I'd still not pay monthly, etc for this. However, like many others out there (I guess) I would be more than happy to support the developers good efforts with a one off payment for the app that I use.

I too am a Plex lifetime user and if you visit the forums there (Plex) you would know I was a Plex Ninja as well (not that it makes any difference).

Even when Plex was my main system I still was a lifetime member here at Emby as well.  Remember your $ go to help fund this great media eco system and without the $ support it wouldn't be what it is today or what it will be next month!

Emby is growing a lot.  Many Plex users are switching to Emby.  Look around the forums here and you will see many of the same user names you used to see on the Plex forums.  Emby is geared to a different set of users (sort of) then Plex is.  Plex aims for the novice user while Emby requires a bit more of technical user to tweek the system for maximum performance and flexibility. Emby has more options to set (defaults work) which provides for more freedom but requires more knowledge as well.  

Realistically, you want the nag screen to popup to get people to donate but at the same time not so much that they won't try it for a week or two or purchase a one month trial membership to experience the full system.  There really isn't a purpose to making the system as a whole free to use as that doesn't benefit the community at large.  

With all of that said.  It's been a long time since I've seen the nag screens.  How often do they popup?  Are we talking once daily, hourly, every playback?

TraySteel

I too am a Plex lifetime user and if you visit the forums there (Plex) you would know I was a Plex Ninja as well (not that it makes any difference).

Even when Plex was my main system I still was a lifetime member here at Emby as well.  Remember your $ go to help fund this great media eco system and without the $ support it wouldn't be what it is today or what it will be next month!

Emby is growing a lot.  Many Plex users are switching to Emby.  Look around the forums here and you will see many of the same user names you used to see on the Plex forums.  Emby is geared to a different set of users (sort of) then Plex is.  Plex aims for the novice user while Emby requires a bit more of technical user to tweek the system for maximum performance and flexibility. Emby has more options to set (defaults work) which provides for more freedom but requires more knowledge as well.  

Realistically, you want the nag screen to popup to get people to donate but at the same time not so much that they won't try it for a week or two or purchase a one month trial membership to experience the full system.  There really isn't a purpose to making the system as a whole free to use as that doesn't benefit the community at large.  

With all of that said.  It's been a long time since I've seen the nag screens.  How often do they popup?  Are we talking once daily, hourly, every playback?

You make some good points. I'm sure there are some that feel happy to pay a subscription model for Emby, personally I will never do that. But as I said, I'm happy to pay a one off fee in a traditional software model.

I get the nag screen every 24 hours. Not the end of the world and it looks like I'll be stuck with it.

Deathsquirrel

You make some good points. I'm sure there are some that feel happy to pay a subscription model for Emby, personally I will never do that. But as I said, I'm happy to pay a one off fee in a traditional software model.

I get the nag screen every 24 hours. Not the end of the world and it looks like I'll be stuck with it.

If you want to pay a 1-time fee, they have that option.

Jdiesel

Even when Plex was my main system I still was a lifetime member here at Emby as well. Remember your $ go to help fund this great media eco system and without the $ support it wouldn't be what it is today or what it will be next month!

Emby is growing a lot. Many Plex users are switching to Emby. Look around the forums here and you will see many of the same user names you used to see on the Plex forums. Emby is geared to a different set of users (sort of) then Plex is. Plex aims for the novice user while Emby requires a bit more of technical user to tweek the system for maximum performance and flexibility. Emby has more options to set (defaults work) which provides for more freedom but requires more knowledge as well.

Realistically, you want the nag screen to popup to get people to donate but at the same time not so much that they won't try it for a week or two or purchase a one month trial membership to experience the full system. There really isn't a purpose to making the system as a whole free to use as that doesn't benefit the community at large.

With all of that said. It's been a long time since I've seen the nag screens. How often do they popup? Are we talking once daily, hourly, every playback?

I thought your username looked familiar. Welcome to the Emby Community

• Like 1

I thought your username looked familiar. Welcome to the Emby Community

I've been around but mostly in read only mode. :)

Plex is moving in a different direction from what I'd like and Emby is spot on so...