Wired behavior after playback failure on Shield involving playback on Roku and Fire.

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I am running Emby on a strong Windows computer but this involves my Shield TV, Fire TV and my Roku.

I started playback of an old and probably poorly encoded avi file. It played fine through about 50% then it began to stutter and shortly freezed and appeared to start the reboot cycle, the screen went dark, but I did not stay with the Shield long enough to be sure it was rebooting.

I then switched to my Fire TV and tried to resume playback and it played for a short time and then acted just like the Shield had but did not produce the blank screen. I then stopped the playback and exited the app.

I then switched to my Roku and picked up playback. The playback stuttered just a little and then played fine through the end of the file and that is where the weirdness started. 

When the file reached the end it restarted playback at aprox the point where the first failure happened on the Shield. It was playing normally but I pressed back to stop it and the Roku behaved correctly like the playback was at the end.

Then I started a different file from a different show but also an avi. The file played fine all the way through and when it finished it jumped to the middle, like the other file had, and continued playing from there,

Again I pressed back to terminate the playback and then started another file. This time an mp4. The file played fine all the way through but when it reached the end it also jumpped back to the middle and continued playing. I exited that file and behavior seemed otherwise normal.

Now I went and rebooted my Shield, Fire TV, Roku and restarted my Emby server. and the next file played and ended without problem.

I reported this mainly just to get the report out there and I put it in this forum because it involved several different platforms.

I do not understand how a problem on my Shield could cause problems with my Fire and Roku but it appears it did. Clearly somehow the problem must have disrupted the server somehow and whatever went wrong there cause the weird behavior on my Roku.

Gilgamesh_48

Hi there, can we look at an example? please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I would love to BUT I have now rebooted everything and I doubt it will happen again as I have NEVER seen such before. I decided to post as much as I could about the problem after I resolved it mainly just in case. Should it happen again I will capture logs ect and post them here. I do know how to report problems but, in this case, I destroyed the evidence before I decided that you might need more info.

Sorry for the incomplete report I did the best I could.

I'm sure this was all related just to that file and had nothing to do with your having played it in the different apps - other than the fact that action created a resume point for you which meant you were jumping into the item in the middle which may increase the likelihood of you seeing that strange HLS behavior (jumping back at the end).