CI card reader

Jennice

Jennice

Hi all,

Here in Denmark (generally, northern europe),  more and more content is based on a CI card reader (encrypted channels).

Currently, HDHomerRun tuners do not offer this for their DVB-C tuners.

1) Has anyone found a tuner which is compatible with Emby (Windows 10), that also has a card reader slot?

2) If available, can Emby sort out tuners depending on need for card reader, or is that obvious based on channel scan?

Thanks -

Jennice

rechner123

I am using a digital devices pci tuner card with ci.

This is running on dvbviewer recording service.

With the dvbviewer plugin i have it on emby server.

There is also a network tuner available from digital devices. Octopus net

Jennice

Hi Rechner 123,

dvbViewer... is it this one: http://www.dvbviewer.com/en/index.php?page=features

Does that mean you have a dvbviewer service running the tuners (and setting them up), while Emby gets it's data (the streams) from dvbviewer, or is recording scheduling etc done on dvbviewer?

Is the CI part then transparent to Emby?

Do you know if Octopus net works with dvbviewer?

rechner123

Yes this is the website of the dvbviewer.

There is also a dvbviewer recording service available. The new versions name is Dvbviewer media server.(DMS)

Tuner, channel setting and ci decryption does dms/rec service.

I can watch live tv, record and also have guide.

Maybe other ca explain this better in english.

The plugin for emby was here:https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34417-dvbviewer-live-tv-plugin/

FlyGuy94

You could use a enigma 2 box and use the plugin to let emby think its a hdhomerun. If its a ci card and is supported by cccam you can record using emby.

If its ci+ then you can only watch live and record the same stream at thesame time.

plugin link: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52762-enigma2-livetvdvr-support/

Edited by FlyGuy94

rechner123

You have to use only emby for livetv and recording, recservice/dms runs in background

Do you know if Octopus net works with dvbviewer?

That is promoted on german digital devices website:

Eine Liste der möglichen Clients zum problemlosen Einsatz des SAT>IP Servers, finden Sie in unserer speziellen Zusammenstellung. Beispiele dazu sind:

DVB Viewer Pro, MediaPortal, XBMC/Kodi, VDR, TV headend

sowie zahlreichen weiteren Produkten.

Edited by rechner123

Jennice

You could use a enigma 2 box and use the plugin to let emby think its a hdhomerun. If its a ci card and is supported by cccam you can record using emby.

If its ci+ then you can only watch live and record the same stream at thesame time.

plugin link: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52762-enigma2-livetvdvr-support/

Is it correctly understood, that...

if it's CI+, then I would need 4 CI+ cards in order to use 4 encrypted tuner channels indepently.

if it's CI (not +), then one CI card is enough to allow 4 tuners independently?

---

I want to be able to watch something else than what I am recording.

And preferrably use Emby to manage both playback and recording.

pünktchen

Is it correctly understood, that...

if it's CI+, then I would need 4 CI+ cards in order to use 4 encrypted tuner channels indepently.

Yes, but this would only work with an Enigma bases settop box. There's no pc tuner available on the market that accepts a CI+ card. At least this is true for german CI+. Maybe it's different in Denmark.

if it's CI (not +), then one CI card is enough to allow 4 tuners independently?

This would only work with pc tuner cards by Digital Devices. Other vendors like TBS don't allow to share a single CAM for multiple tuners.

And preferrably use Emby to manage both playback and recording.

Keep in mind your Emby server has to be always online, because the integrated live tv solution isn't able to wakeup your pc for upcoming schedules. Currently only the different tv backends provided via plugins can do this. Edited by pünktchen

Jennice

Keep in mind your Emby server has to be always online, because the integrated live tv solution isn't able to wakeup your pc for upcoming schedules. Currently only the different tv backends provided via plugins can do this.

I have a dedicated server for Emby. :)

Can I use both a HD Homerun (4 channel) and a Digital Devices unit (via plug-in) with Emby, or would that not work?

Jennice

Currently, I am trying to find out what I would need from Digital Devices, based on their Octopus Net.

Does anyone know if it's sort of build-your-own-combination, or how it's to be unterstood?

Can I use more than one Difgital Devices box (4 channels in total, with CI card), for Emby via plug-in?

pünktchen

I don't recommend a Octopus Net if you want to decrypt multiple channels at once. Better take one of their PCIe tuner cards. Depending of your CAM you can use up to eight tuners with a single CI.

And yes you can mix Emby's core tv with a tv plugin.

FlyGuy94

Currently, I am trying to find out what I would need from Digital Devices, based on their Octopus Net.

Does anyone know if it's sort of build-your-own-combination, or how it's to be unterstood?

Can I use more than one Difgital Devices box (4 channels in total, with CI card), for Emby via plug-in?

The first thing you should figure out is if your providers uses ci or ci+. I like you spend ages looking on the internet for my dream setup only to hit a brick wall when I discoverd I could only get a ci+ card here.

Jennice

The first thing you should figure out is if your providers uses ci or ci+. I like you spend ages looking on the internet for my dream setup only to hit a brick wall when I discoverd I could only get a ci+ card here.

Working on it... :)

Jennice

I have been told that a normal CI card reader will do. No need for CI+.

It needs to support Viaccess, which I understand ids their encryption platform of choice.

Jennice

I had a correspondance with SiliconDust (HDHomeRun) regarding a CI card equipped network tuner for DVB-C. YouSee (Denmark) is using CI to controll access to their TV offerings when not choosing the "off-the-shelf" products. And the off-the-shelf TV channel bundles are slowly being replaced by must-carry channels combined with CI card based pick-your-own.

Credits to them for quick and interesting responses:

"There are still some providers using the older CI standard, which is solely for access control (making sure channels are only available to people who subscribe to them). However, most cable providers in the rest of Europe (e.g. Ziggo in the Netherlands, Telenet in Belgium, Vodafone in Germany, Com Hem in Sweden, and UPC in Poland, Romania, and Switzerland) have moved to the newer CI+ system. We've done some math and it just doesn't make sense for us to make a CI-only product. "

SOOooo.... siliconDust is not planning a CI-only product.

They also told me about issues with CI+ (which contains stricter DRM options), making a network tuner with CI+ problematic.

Unfortunately, this aligns with user "pünktchen"'s observation for Germany "There's no pc tuner available on the market that accepts a CI+ card. ".

It seems DRM issues are spoiling all the fun for us geeks.  :(