H/W Transcoding DS1817+

MariusW

Hi Community,

hi Luke,

I bought a new NAS, the Synology DS1817+. Before I used the QNAP 859.

On the DS1817+ the H/W transcoding doesn't work or I used a wrong API.

Can you please tell me, what is the right one?

I tried the Intel Quick Sync and the VA API.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

Marius

You may need to configure the VaAPI device argument in server transcoding settings, although i'm not sure what the correct value is at the moment for your device.

Great news from the great support of synology (ironic)

Hello

Thank you for contacting Synology Support.

Unfortunately we cannot provide support for the Emby application as this is not available as a supported package on the Package Center, and is also not developed by Synology. I would recommend contacting Emby support for assistance with this issue.

The full list of supported packages across all devices can be found on the link below, though only full support can be provided to devices listed as Developed By Synology in the Package Center entries. Packages listed as Published by Synology we can only assist with issues regarding installation, uninstallation or starting of the package.

https://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/packages

Best Regards
Craig

Technical Support Team

Any idea how I can find out the right path on my own?

solabc16

Hello @@MariusW

The DS1817+ is equipped with an Intel Atom C2538, so doesn't have hardware transcoding support available.

It's a great machine and can deliver very good IO, but will have modest limits as far as software based transcoding goes.

This is the main machine I use for Emby Server, as (you'll likely see in posts elsewhere) I prefer to focus on direct play.

Can you post a copy of the transcode log for the session that was running at transcoding at 17fps.

Best

- James