MBC fails on WMC & extenders

bocabill

bocabill

cMeAbI9.png

An oldie but a goodie (I guess).  I've been getting this error for a while, decided to do as much of a "clean sweep" as possible, de-installed MBC and MBS, reinstalled, removed all plugins (server and classic), and still get the error on the WMC PC.  Playback from the server works on other devices (Theater client, Browsers, etc.).

MBS (3.0.5188.21314)  is running on a WHS2011 box, MBC (3.0.141.0 3-16.1) is running on a Win 7 box.  WMC otherwise runs fine, can access and play files (leading me to suspect/hope that all share rights/privileges are correct).

MBS doesn't appear to be generating a log file related to the MBC crash (the only entries I see are related to library scans, but will post it if needed/requested).  MBC's log file is attached.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

MBClassic-log.log

Whenever you get that kind of an error in WMC, we need the Windows Event Log as explained in the How to Report a Problem post.  That should tell us what is going on.

Make sure the WMI service is properly running on your machine.  You may also need to try repairing its database (Google it if this is the case).

bocabill

It was not running on either the MBS machine or the MBC machine.   I've set it to auto-start on both, restarted both machines, checked MBC and still get the error.  Stopped the service on both, salvaged and reset the repositories on both, rebooted again.  Still getting the original error in WMC.

Is WMI a service that MBC/MBS requires or does it help provide more detailed information for the Windows Event Log and you'd like to see a new one now that the service is running?

WMI is the Windows Management Instrumentation service.  It is a core part of Windows.

Is the error in the event log exactly the same?  Is there another one labelled .net error?

No, that is where it would be.  This is a different error.  Now with COM (another basic Windows service) instead of WMI.  Do you have this machine stripped down to not be running the basic windows services?

bocabill

No, that is where it would be.  This is a different error.  Now with COM (another basic Windows service) instead of WMI.  Do you have this machine stripped down to not be running the basic windows services?

Not to my knowledge.  It was a straight-forward install of Win7 Home Premium with the sole function of running WMC, MBC, MetaBrowser and the Codecs to allow streaming to 360 extenders.  So tweaking and even software installs on these boxes (both the WHS 2011 and the Win 7 running WMC) has been minimal to non-existent.  I am quite puzzled how such core and basic Windows services are not running automatically on systems that I thought were non-altered.

Especially for the W7 box, on that I've never touched or changed any services before today and today was just to set WMI and COM to start automatically.

Is there a listing of required services (even the core ones) that MB (Server, Classic, etc.) require?  I can run through MMC and make sure that I have the necessary services running and enable to autostart.  If there are a number of services disabled that I am unaware of, I would be concerned that I would be wasting your time reading (and interpreting) my Event Logs when I clearly have an issue with how Windows is running on my devices.  I really do appreciate your assistance and don't want to abuse your time or generosity is assisting me.

As an aside, does the MBC installer check for the presence and active state of required services?  I know that can sound snarky, but please believe me it is not intended that way.

I don't really know what all the services are.  These are just basic Windows functions we are using that are failing because these items aren't running.

Make sure Windows updates are completely up to date on that machine.

bocabill

I don't really know what all the services are.  These are just basic Windows functions we are using that are failing because these items aren't running.

Make sure Windows updates are completely up to date on that machine.

Both devices are up-to-date on Windows Updates.

I will attempt to enable various services and see if any resolve the issue.

This may also be a  good reason (and time) for me to retire the WMC machine and just go with the DNLA function in MBS.  Especially considering that WMC is on its way to becoming abandonware.

I appreciate your assistance, persistence and patience.  Thank you!