LG E6V - unnecessary transcoding

Bulli

Hi,

i have a Synology DS 916+ running with Plex. I wanted to take a look into emby, and installed it on my nas and the client app on my LG E6V. One of the first things i've tested was playback of 4k HDR content. Unfortunately emby will transcode it. Plex and Synology DLNA play it directly.

Maybe there is something i do wrong?

5a76c9ae52987_01.jpg

ffmpeg log.txt

server log.txt

Edited by Bulli

If you play the first audio track, it should Direct Play, if you select the secondary audio track, it will direct stream. This is because the LG client can't switch audio tracks. Therefore, it switches tracks on the server and streams the output. I expect this is what's happening. Turn on stats for nerds on the app during playback to confirm.

Ah, i usually choose the english track, in this case the 2nd...

So if i select the 1st track, i can confirm the play method DirectPlay -> see attached photo IMG_1062.JPG

But if i select the 2nd track, the play method is'nt DirectStream but Transcode  -> see attached photo IMG_1063.JPG

(Transcoding speed is about 0.2 and HDR is gone.)

post-282535-0-01905300-1517738320_thumb.jpg

post-282535-0-90495900-1517738330_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bulli

Not sure.  Possibly it can't stream HEVC so it needs to transcode.

Do you think Plex plays the second audio track without transcoding?

CBers

If you play the first audio track, it should Direct Play, if you select the secondary audio track, it will direct stream. This is because the LG client can't switch audio tracks. Therefore, it switches tracks on the server and streams the output. I expect this is what's happening. Turn on stats for nerds on the app during playback to confirm.

And seeing as you can't pre-select the audio track (or subtitles) before pressing play as the app crashes, you're a bit stuffed.

Not sure.  Possibly it can't stream HEVC so it needs to transcode.

Do you think Plex plays the second audio track without transcoding?

As you can see in picture IMG_1062.JPG attached above, emby streams HEVC directly if i select the first audio track.

As you can see in picture IMG_1062.JPG attached above, emby streams HEVC directly if i select the first audio track.

In that case it is DirectPlaying without and ffmpeg involvement.  Once it tries to stream and involves ffmpeg to swap the tracks, I think that is when HEVC might be a problem.  I could be wrong though.

In that case it is DirectPlaying without and ffmpeg involvement.  Once it tries to stream and involves ffmpeg to swap the tracks, I think that is when HEVC might be a problem.  I could be wrong though.

I understand.

I've went to the policy.xml in the config/users/ on the server and changed EnableAudioPlaybackTranscoding and EnableVideoPlaybackTranscoding to false. I assumed to get a error message like "cannot play" or so.

But now emby makes a DirectStream and it works perfect. I think there is a bug anywhere, because there is no reason to transcode in the first place.

But this is just a workaround and no final solution, because i need transcoding for tablet und smartphone.

post-282535-0-76902900-1517751898_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bulli

Hi, yes as mentioned in other topics, direct play of hevc is resolved for the next release of the app. Thanks !

Hi, sorry for piggy-back riding this post, but as I have the same TV and also play 4K files in direct play mode, I had the following observation:

When displaying the Stats for Nerds, the video player resolution is 1920x1080 (FullHD) and the media file resolution is 3840x2160 (UHD).

My question here is:

Is the original 4K content first being downscaled to FullHD to fit the video player resolution, and then upscaled again to the native 4K screen resolution?

Thanks for your quick reply Luke! But to be clear that I correctly understood: what are your referring to as 'resolved in next release'?

That in the next release the "player dimensions" will also be 4K so there is no unnecessary downscaling and upscaling when playing 4K content ("video resolution")?

Thanks for your quick reply Luke! But to be clear that I correctly understood: what are your referring to as 'resolved in next release'?

That in the next release the "player dimensions" will also be 4K so there is no unnecessary downscaling and upscaling when playing 4K content ("video resolution")?

I think this is the answer you're after.

http://webostv.developer.lge.com/discover/specifications/webos-tv-platform/supported-app-resolution/

The player dimensions are based on the app (graphic) resolution (ie: 1920 x 1080), but the video playback matches the file resolution.  There is no downscaling.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...