Delay Starting Main Movie after Intro's Run

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Someone posted a similar issue in the MBT forum but I'm experiencing this issue in MBC.

I am currently running the latest dev versions of MBServer and MBC.

My current setup plays 2 random internet trailers, then a local intro file, a sound bumper, and then the main movie.

The trailers and intro/bumper play fine with no issues, but after the sound bumper plays there's a 2-10 second delay of "black screen" before the movie starts playing.

I'm using shark codecs since I have 2 extenders, have lav filters set as primary, and use bitstreaming.  Have never had an issue before until roughly a week or 2 ago with this.

JeremyFr79

Make sure it isn't actually streaming the main movie.  Log...?

as in transcoding it? 

JeremyFr79

I know it's not transcoding.  After updating the newest dev release of MBS today seemed to have resolved it, but we'll see I've only watched one movie.

JeremyFr79

Ok sorry, haven't had a chance to use MB lately, watched a movie tonight and same situation, all pre-show material works fine, after last pre-show file movie took nearly 15 seconds to start.

Well, that shows that we went from completing the last intro to getting a confirmation from WMC that Anchorman 2 was playing in less than a second.

So, if you are seeing a delay on the screen, it must be internal to WMC.  If it only happens when Intros are involved it may have to do with WMC having to switch from one type of video to another.

JeremyFr79

Well, that shows that we went from completing the last intro to getting a confirmation from WMC that Anchorman 2 was playing in less than a second.

So, if you are seeing a delay on the screen, it must be internal to WMC.  If it only happens when Intros are involved it may have to do with WMC having to switch from one type of video to another.

Last intro is an MKV and movies are all MKV, previously this all worked fine, it's only been the last couple of weeks this has started.  Further this machine is a freshly installed clean dedicated HTPC.  MBS is running on a completely different system, movies are stored on a SAN providing 300+ MBps of bandwidth and fed through a bonded 2Gbps connection to the network, HTPC is running at 1Gbps. HTPC is a Q9400 with 4GB of ram and an SSD Main Drive running only WMC and ArcSoft (for bluray disc playback only)

MKV is just a container.  The actual video within it is what matters.  I'm only guessing at the possibility of having to switch codecs being a reason WMC may be taking extra time.  We aren't taking any extra time as we are passing off the items in under a second.

Do these exact same items start faster if Intros aren't played?  You can play a movie without intros by hitting ctl-p or your remote play button from a list.

JeremyFr79

MKV is just a container.  The actual video within it is what matters.  I'm only guessing at the possibility of having to switch codecs being a reason WMC may be taking extra time.  We aren't taking any extra time as we are passing off the items in under a second.

Do these exact same items start faster if Intros aren't played?  You can play a movie without intros by hitting ctl-p or your remote play button from a list.

Sorry yeah I understand that MKV is a container only, guess I could have been more specific, I can try later when I'm home to see if it happens without intros, I'm fairly sure though that in the recent past even when skipping intro's it still took quite a while from the play button on the remote being pressed to the actual video starting.  But I'll double check tonight. The other thing is there have been a few times where it's played fine, but more often than not I get the delay.  I appreciate the help so far and its one of the reason I choose to be a paid supporter, you guys rock!

JeremyFr79

The only other thing that's changed in the recent past is the addition of a Ceton InifniTV4 tuner card for live TV but I can't see that causing any issue with non T.V. playback.  As for codecs I use Shark007 since I have 2 360's as extenders and it gives me the best playback support, I use LAV from within Shark and use Win7DSFilterTweaker to ensure LAV as primary decoders for nearly all content with DXVA2 hardware decoding and full BitStreaming for audio. Lastly output from the PC runs at 23.97Hz to sync correctly to my projector for true 24p native playback for movies.

Edited by JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

Also calibrated for correct colorspace output to projector so there's no upconvert/downconvert introduced into colorspace processing.