Which GPU for Hvec on old system

Boredcat

Boredcat

I am runing a old HTPC with E7400 CPU (yes very old) on a GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherbaord. Together a external GPU (GT610) the system is very capable to playing H.264 movies/series.

I just bought a new 4K TV, so it would be nice to play HVEC H.265 movies,  So I need to update some hardware components.. The question that I have will it be enough to replace my GPU or will the CPU still be a bottle neck. ?

And if I just replace the GPU what GPU do I need. Already looked but all I can find are specs for resolution and not for GPU H.265 decoding.

Grtx

Boredcat

PenkethBoy

is your pc connected directly to your tv?

if you have say a Nvidia Shield which supports h265 playback then your htpc should be fine as no transcoding needed and the bonus is the Shield is a lot cheaper than a gpu at present.

Boredcat

The HTPC is directly connected to TV. A separate server is delivering the content to the server. Will have a look at a Nvidia Shield. Thnx

Jdiesel

A Nvidia GT 1030 should work nicely 

If you are curious about h265 support have a look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

My personal recommendation would be to avoid VP7 and get something with VP8. VP7 uses hybrid decoding and was kind of half baked.

Edited by Jdiesel

Boredcat

@@Jdiesel : That is a nice read. I started look on the Nvidia website.. The Wiki is much better. 

And the GT1030 with that old CPU will work ?

Jdiesel

It should be fine with anything that can be hardware decoded. The exception might be Hi10 which is only used for scene anime and is not supported by any hardware decoders

• 2 weeks later...
Boredcat

I just got my GT1030, and it works.. (Took some time to connect it to my X2200W Receiverr, HDMI issue).

Very  happy now..

Having one issue, when I continue a movie, the sound starts and after several seconds the video starts. I will post this question/issue in an other thread. 

Thxn for het help