Loud feedback noise after seek

snorkel
Go to solution Solved by snorkel,

snorkel

This has been happening for a few days and it always happens after a forward seek, usually a few or more in a row, and you can hear a popping sound from the speakers. The recording continues to play fine, the feed back occurs when you back out of the recording, the really loud feedback continues until you move to another recording icon.

I took a video to better illustrate what I am talking about.

This is on latest emby available on shield tv from play store and latest stable server version.

Here is the video

snorkel

Sometimes the feedback screeching happens after a seek while in the recording, and resets after another seek forward.

I can usually reproduce it by doing a bunch of seeks in a row.

snorkel

After more messing around it seems to be related to that option to the down mix to stereo option.

If I enable that no popping and feedback screeching.

What kind of audio equipment is hooked up and how?

Most receivers will mute the stream (when dealing with bitstreamed audio) during transitions like this to avoid just this kind of thing.

The reason you don't see it with the mix down option is just because you're no longer dealing with bitstreamed compressed audio formats.

snorkel

It's a Vizio P series hooked up via arc to a 5.1 sound bar also Vizio. I have tried the sound set to auto, PCM, Dolby and bitstream.

snorkel

I also have a Xbox one s with emby theater and have not noticed this issue.

I can try and do the same test on the Xbox one.

snorkel

The Xbox is connected to the same HDMI port via a switch and it does not exhibit the same behavior on the same recordings.

When I seek on the shield with the Android app it's constantly switching back and forth between 5.1 and whatever the app is set to when nothing is playing. I can see the LEDs on the sound bar going into 5.1 back and forth while a seek or multiple seeks is initiated.

The down mix to stero is the only thing that works.

Only thing I could suggest is trying the beta version of the app since it has an updated version of the player.  Maybe something changed.

I have never seen (or heard ;)) anything like this using the app hooked to my receiver for almost 3 years now.

snorkel

I looked at the Xbox settings and it's set all the time to a particular output, by default it's stereo and I have it set to bitstream 5.1 and it never switches back and forth.

I have tried every setting on the sheild in regards to audio.

I took a video of the 5.1 indicator when seeking that shows it switches every time you do a seek, and my wife likes to skip the commercials and does like 4 or 5 in a row and the result is horrendous, sometimes that screeching sound and mostly a long pause in audio as the 5 switches I'm mode catch up.

The seek is not usable with 5,1 surround.

I've never used a soundbar but any receiver I've ever used would automatically mute the output for a second or two whenever switching modes (again, to avoid this very problem because, when sending compressed bitstream audio, interrupting the stream could definitely cause digital distortion).  It sounds like your soundbar does not do that.

Again, I would try the beta of the app just in case anything is different.

snorkel

It does mute the output, that's why there is a pause after the single seeks, the problem is happening after a bunch of successive seeks in a row. The Xbox appears to just keep the whole OS in 5.1 mode, it doesn't do any mode switch at all.

The problem is obviously with recorded tv as you usually don't skip through a movie unless it's bad hahah

I can try the beta and see if that helps.

snorkel

I tried the beta and it's actually a bit worse, now it does the feedback noise after just pausing the stream(it does not do it every time I pause).

The other thing I noticed is the feedback is coming from the rear speakers.

I posted on the nvidia geforce official forums to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

It is doing it on Netflix as well just without the feedback noise.   I guess it could be the sound bar just being super slow.  really don't know what to do at this point.

• 3 years later...
shdwkeeper

Has this issue been looked at?  I'm using a Shield Pro and the issue just came back when trying to solve a Direct Play / Direct Stream Problem with transcoding.  I'm just watching a local channel using Emby the Shield Pro an HD Homerun Tuner.  I've been getting a lot of pauses and audio dropouts when just starting to view the channel than a few minutes in this loud feedback noise happens, if you let it go it eventually turns off, maybe the stream fixed it self?  I dunno.  I attached a quick video.

Edited by shdwkeeper

Hi. I've never personally seen this issue and you're the first one to report it in a few years.  It must be something with the particular hardware or connections.  Exactly what are those?

shdwkeeper
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi. I've never personally seen this issue and you're the first one to report it in a few years.  It must be something with the particular hardware or connections.  Exactly what are those?

Shield Pro, Vizio TV and Vizio sound bar.

50 minutes ago, shdwkeeper said:

Shield Pro, Vizio TV and Vizio sound bar.

Hooked together in what order and by what method?

shdwkeeper
37 minutes ago, cayars said:

BTW, does this happen with all media or just a file or two?

Randomly happens.  Mainly with Live TV, especially when exiting out of a channel and going to guide, or exit out of a Netflix show and going to main menu.

shdwkeeper
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hooked together in what order and by what method?

Sound bar to Arc of TV, Shield Pro into Hdmi port of TV. So all devices are controllable.

Have you tried hooking the Shield directly to the soundbar so that your TV isn't in the middle of that connection?

shdwkeeper
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you tried hooking the Shield directly to the soundbar so that your TV isn't in the middle of that connection?

I believe I still had the same issue, I'll test again. If I hook it up that way I think I lose the ARC functionality.

2 hours ago, shdwkeeper said:

I believe I still had the same issue, I'll test again. If I hook it up that way I think I lose the ARC functionality.

That would be great, thanks.