Playback issues over 4G (inoperable) - 2.9.82

speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

It must be a Sprint LTE thing.  

I just tried again with the most recent Play store app that says updated a few days ago.

I used the hotspot feature on my Sprint phone and connected my spare inactive Moto X Pure to the wifi  hotspot with the newest Emby app version installed. 

Same results.  Video is not playable with new app on Auto witch selects Direct Play. Only set to low res and bitrate setting Transcode does it play smoothly.

Remove new app. Install the older app, streams Direct Play fine no matter the files bit rate. Even selecting high res/bitrate works fine.

The Stats for Nerds still say the libvlc as the player on both though. so, what exactly changed in the way the video is streamed in the new app?

Edited by speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

Is MPV in the new app use a VPN to connect and stream from the server?

I ask because some users on some Sprint Forums have informed me that Sprint severely throttles VPN and P2P on LTE to 2G speeds on their network.

speedingcheetah

It should be able to yes.

No...i mean is it using one by default on the back-end....not that i am activating one in the OS or using an app and asking it it woudl still work.

You said the same content on your local network is fine right? That would rule out any decoding inefficiencies

speedingcheetah

No it's using whatever the connection of the device is.

You said the same content on your local network is fine right? That would rule out any decoding inefficiencies

Correct. 

What about P2P connection then? Thats the other thing told to me that Sprint throttles to 2G.

speedingcheetah

I tried the new app on my neighbors shitty wifi, where speeds are not that good. about 10 megs.  And exact same issue. 

It appears to be acting like there isn't enough bandwidth to direct stream to push the data stream...or its requesting far too much than available bandwidth for some reason....

While the old app works fine in that factor. Direct play and all.

It is particularity bad when u try to stream live tv channels which are MPEG2.

speedingcheetah

Could it be the server struggling to transcode?

nope. the sever can transcode fine with the old app. in fact. i can run 2 transcode streams at same time from two separate devices with no issues with old app. New app (with MPV as its player i surmise) will not direct stream and will only play one transcode stream if i set it no higher than lowest bitrate 720p setting.

speedingcheetah

I thought you said the old app was direct streaming? It wouldn't have been transcoding then.

Exactly. But i can force transcode if i want and it does it fine, no matter the setting, 480, 720, 1080.   

my server is a Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH.

i do hope to upgrade to a Intel NUC NUC7i7BNH...but ddr4 ram prices are too damn high.

swhitmore

Exactly. But i can force transcode if i want and it does it fine, no matter the setting, 480, 720, 1080.   

my server is a Intel® NUC Kit NUC5i5RYH.

i do hope to upgrade to a Intel NUC NUC7i7BNH...but ddr4 ram prices are too damn high.

I don't think you need to upgrade. The i5 should be perfectly fine. Just to be sure, can you monitor the CPU usage while it's transcoding? I've noticed a few reports of multiple ffmpeg instances etc. It might not be related, but worth checking.

speedingcheetah

I don't think you need to upgrade. The i5 should be perfectly fine. Just to be sure, can you monitor the CPU usage while it's transcoding? I've noticed a few reports of multiple ffmpeg instances etc. It might not be related, but worth checking.

I checked that already....only when using web browser does the multiple ffmpeg thing happen.

And regardless, that would not effect the Direct Play issues.

and the cpu is pretty much maxed out even with just one transcode anyway. So i need something more powerfull if i want to have multiple streams.

swhitmore

I wouldn't have thought an i5 would max out from 1 transcode stream, but may that's the issue. It might not be related to bandwidth at all.

speedingcheetah

I wouldn't have thought an i5 would max out from 1 transcode stream, but may that's the issue. It might not be related to bandwidth at all.

If that were the case...then the old app would have the same issues. It has been fine up until this latest app update with "revamped media playback".

Also, until this double ffmpeg thing showed up, i could play from browser and apps fine with transcode. 

I am the only user at the moment,  but am possibly looking to expand and have a few of my friends access it to stream some stuff, instead of just downloading the file.

Also, the new app works fine over wifi (local lan)

speedingcheetah

the i5 in the NUC is i5-5250U.

I did clone over the sever to my desktop that is a i7-5960X and ran the same tests with that as the sever.

Same issues with the new app. So it is not a CPU power issue.

speedingcheetah

I just tried again with Store app version 2.9.86 and sever version 3.2.70.14-beta.  Issues persists.

Also, its not just Sprint LTE. I connected to my folks VZW hotspot and its exhibited the  same reported issues with playback.

speedingcheetah

I did some tweaking last night (after upgrade server to beta to fix the multiple ffmpeg issue).

Set the Transcode H264 encoding preset  from Auto to ultraFast.

H264 encoding CRF from 18 to 25.

Deinterlacing method from Bob and weave to Standard.

That now reduces the cpu load noticeably to about 60-70% usage with one transcode stream active.

Marginal quality loss.

So that is one recent issue addressed. 

None of these changes affected the new app streaming issues this thread is about.

speedingcheetah

Update:   Most certainly appears to be a LTE network data streaming detection based issue I am experiencing. 

I installed the current Play store Emby app on a family members VZW S7.  Using the app on the phone over VZW LTE, it Direct played fine and played live tv fine on auto and at 1080p fine.

(their plan is teather at 3G speeds so that is probably why when i connected my phone to thier phones VZW hotspot before, it would not play)

I did the same thing on a buddies S8 on Tmobile.  His plan is the one that limits video to 480. The new app would not stream anything unless set at 360p or lower.  The older app (VLC based) worked fine on auto, direct play and 1080 settings.

The new MPV based app is working fine on good speed wifi networks. On my home wifi(local LAN)  and my folks home wifi (outside LAN).

For me, I am thinking Sprint is seeing the Emby data stream as "Music" because the line in my plan states "Music at up to 1.5mbps" which is what seems to be the max bitrate i can push the new app to and it tries to play video, but buffers like crazy. 1mbps and lower seems to work.

So, based on my testing,  there has to be something technologically different with MPV vs VLC that the carrier is processing and throttling differently. 

Unless u add in the option to chose either VLC or MPV in the app, i have to stick to the older app indefinitely.  (or until I switch carriers. But i don't plan to as Sprint is the best price for unlimited data with 1080p vid quality. To which, up until the new app version, I was actively using.)

• 3 weeks later...
Pkanarki

Hi

I am experiencing the same problem.

I had not used the android app on 4G since mid/late 2017, and back then it worked for 1080 and I watched two movies from start to finish.

Now when I tried first time last week, its not working anymore.

Tested on:

Phone 1: huawei honor 6, android 5.0

Phone 2: huawei honor 9, android 8.0

Both phones show identical failure to play on 4G.

Server is windows 7 pro, intel 4130T processor. 100mbit upload from server.

Something changed in the app for sure.

I am very sorry emby is leaving vlc.

Hope you can find a fix for the android app.

Let me now if you need some logs or any alike.

Best regards

Pk

speedingcheetah

Hi

I had not used the android app on 4G since mid/late 2017, and back then it worked for 1080 and I watched two movies from start to finish.

Tested on:

Best regards

Pk

What is your cell Carrier?

Hi

Tested on:

Best regards

Pk

hi @@Pkanarki, assuming armv7, can you please try this version of the app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxser18q8j7pk0j/MediaBrowser.Mobile-googlearmv7-log-release.apk?dl=0

And then provide a log from the app. You can learn how to obtain an app log here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Thanks.

spenserx

I have a Huawei Nexus 6P and I'm experiencing similar issues with the latest version of the app. Stuttering, buffering, unsynced audio on both WiFi and 4G. Downgrading to 2.9.76 solved every problem. Server running in Docker on Ubuntu 16.04. No issues on any other devices.

Do you need anything from me?